Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a fairly major issue with my 2005 Forester XT tonight. I was nearly home after running some errands and noticed at a stop light that it was idling really, really rough. I put it in neutral and gave it some gas to get the revs up, and after a little bit of "chugging" it started to rev and acted somewhat normal.

I got nearly home and had to stop to wait for oncoming traffic so I could turn left - I had been keeping the revs up when stopped to keep it from stalling, but this time it didn't work and I eventually stalled. I couldn't get it restarted, so I hit the four ways and sat there blocking traffic while I tried to restart it.

I finally was able to get it to restart, was able to make the left into my complex, and it stalled immediately upon getting there. It wouldn't restart, so I put it in neutral and pushed it into a parking space.

When I got back into the car to put it back in park, I tried to start it and it fired right up as if nothing was wrong. The CEL is on and the cruise light is flashing. I didn't try to start it up to move it to my parking space as I was afraid it'd just stall on me and I'd end up pushing it back into the spot.

I'm fairly boned here since this is my only vehicle. I don't want to drive it to have the code pulled since I don't want to end up stranded somewhere.

Any ideas? Fuel filter maybe? I had the low fuel light and put about 13 gallons in it this morning - is it possible I got some bad fuel? I've driven about 25 miles since I fueled up today. I replaced the TCV a couple weeks ago after I had it start hard one morning, it's up to date on all other maintenance. I've got about 106K miles on it.

Edit: I just went out and was able to drive it around the complex into my parking spot without issue. Seemed to run just fine, albeit the CEL was on. I'm seriously considering running it out to my folk's place and borrowing a car until the weekend.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about this, especially since I filled up this morning. I'm not sure it's that though, and here's why.

Just got to my folks' place and hooked it up to Dad's OBD-II scanner, here are the two codes I got:

P1544: High exhaust temperature detected
P0345: Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

I had trouble starting it one day last month - I had to crank it quite a while before it'd start, so I hit the web and did some searching. One of the things I read here was to replace the camshaft position sensors, the TCV, and the crank sensor. I replaced the TCV a couple weeks ago so I'm leaning towards it being the CPS all along.

As far as the P1544 error code, would that be because I may have flooded it trying to get it started when it stalled in the street?

I'm going to keep the Forester here and borrow Dad's car until the weekend. I should be able to get the sensors I need from Napa and I'll replace everything this weekend.

The crazy thing is the Forester runs fine now. You'd never believe there was a problem with it earlier tonight, it ran great all the way (90 miles, mostly freeway) here. I'm hoping that doesn't mean there's a problem with the wiring somewhere and the sensor's are fine.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just replaced the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor for bank 2 - we'll see if that helps. It runs fine now, but then again it ran fine immediately after it stalled on me on Wednesday.

Camshaft sensor was fairly difficult - my Chilton repair manual said you should be able to get to it by just pushing some hoses out of the way, but that was a bit of a stretch. I ended up removing the windshield washer fluid tank and was able to get a 10mm wrench in there to loosen the bolt. I had to take it out by hand and use a magnet to extract it to the point I could grab on to it.

Then I dropped it twice when I was putting it back in. There's barely enough room to turn a wrench in there, but it's back in now and I'm glad the job's done.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 4EAT
652 Posts
Any update on if this fixed it for you? I believe I am having the exact same issue.
Thanks

Just replaced the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor for bank 2 - we'll see if that helps. It runs fine now, but then again it ran fine immediately after it stalled on me on Wednesday.

Camshaft sensor was fairly difficult - my Chilton repair manual said you should be able to get to it by just pushing some hoses out of the way, but that was a bit of a stretch. I ended up removing the windshield washer fluid tank and was able to get a 10mm wrench in there to loosen the bolt. I had to take it out by hand and use a magnet to extract it to the point I could grab on to it.

Then I dropped it twice when I was putting it back in. There's barely enough room to turn a wrench in there, but it's back in now and I'm glad the job's done.

·
Registered
2004 subaru 5mt
14 Posts
stumble, hard start, P0345

Any update on if this fixed it for you? I believe I am having the exact same issue.
Thanks

I'd like to believe that the lack of follow up posting means that the sensor replacement fixed the problem.

I have the exact same symptoms happen to my '04 XT.

I plan on replacing the left bank cam sensor tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts