Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 4EAT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

New to me (used) 2005 Forester X owner with $130K miles (and I'm brand new to subaruforester.org - so thanks in advance for any noobie posts). I've had the vehicle for about 30 days. Overall - vehicle gets up to speed just fine - cruises at highway speeds just fine and shifts fine. The issue - around 20 to 30 mph under very light acceleration or when I lift my foot off the accelerator - a distinct grinding / rubbing noise is heard. Coming from the front of the vehicle. Worsens as car warms up. I've replaced the ATF fluid and the rear diff fluid and my mechanic did the front diff since I couldn't get the front diff plug opened.

Any ideas where to start. Could this be a bearing issue in the clutch or front diff? Thank you very much fro any feedback.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X
241 Posts
Hi all -

New to me (used) 2005 Forester X owner with $130K miles (and I'm brand new to subaruforester.org - so thanks in advance for any noobie posts). I've had the vehicle for about 30 days. Overall - vehicle gets up to speed just fine - cruises at highway speeds just fine and shifts fine. The issue - around 20 to 30 mph under very light acceleration or when I lift my foot off the accelerator - a distinct grinding / rubbing noise is heard. Coming from the front of the vehicle. Worsens as car warms up. I've replaced the ATF fluid and the rear diff fluid and my mechanic did the front diff since I couldn't get the front diff plug opened.

Any ideas where to start. Could this be a bearing issue in the clutch or front diff? Thank you very much fro any feedback.
It could just be a heat shield on the exhaust, or the4 exhaust touching the body under certain circumstances.

Dave

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Foot off accelerator.. sounds like me.. brake booster is making the sound coming from directly behind the dash. We had no idea what was making the sound until we stuck chassis ears on it.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 4EAT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for these items to check out. I'll keep you updated on when I find out what it is. BTW - I really like this Subaru Forester....I previously had a 97 Land Cruiser and I practically went broke trying to put gas in the thing. The Forester is the perfect commuter / hauler / etc. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts