Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short history:

I’ve been battling the cruise control on this car off and on for well over a year now. It worked less and less often until eventually I couldn’t get it to “Set” at all. Eventually got a P0851 CEL, and replaced the neutral safety switch. Check engine light went off and never came back (6+ months now with no CEL). But the cruise still didn't work.

Every once in a while, I test the cruise to make sure it didn’t magically fix itself. Over the weekend, for some reason I decided to test it while the car wasn’t in gear, just coasting down the freeway in neutral. The cruise control engaged! The “set” light came on, and it even picked up the throttle and started revving the engine before I cancelled it.

This seems like pretty much the opposite of what should be happening. What could be the deal? Is there a chance I got a weird reversed neutral safety switch or something?

P.S. The car is also having another intermittent problem that I think is unrelated, but worth mentioning. Sometimes when driving, I’ll push in the clutch to switch gear, or stop at a stoplight, and the car will keep revving higher and higher. Usually goosing the gas pedal will make it settle down, but sometimes it gets really bad and gets a bit scary to drive, other times its completely normal. I ran across a video (below) where the guy has the exact same car as me, and what appears to be the exact same problem. He says its a bad gas pedal assembly. Mine appears to be also, because I sprayed some contact cleaner in mine like he said and it seems to have improved the problem drastically for now.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help diagnosing this dang thing. Its driving me crazy!

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sigh... so after posting this I ended up finding this thread over on NASOIC somehow:

Neutral Switch on 04 sti 6MT

In post #3 there, he mentions my exact problem: "I'm assuming that now you can't turn on cruise control while in gear but when you are moving in neutral you can turn on cruise control and the rpm's will keep rising until redline before cruise shuts itself off. Am I correct? With the 04 neutral switch working with the 06 ECU the cruise control is working exactly backwards as it should, the car thinks its in gear when its really in neutral and thinks its in neutral when its really in gear."

It sounds to me like i got the wrong neutral safety switch.

I bought this one:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=929590&cc=1430723
But i think i needed this one:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1190803&cc=1430723

I think the correct OEM PN is 32008AA141 So i guess i'm running a switch that was meant for an older ECU, so its working backwards.

I just ordered up a new genuine subaru switch, and i ordered a new (used) gas pedal assembly for 60$ while i was at it. I might try splicing/bypassing the existing switch till the new one comes, but it seems like thats almost certainly the problem.

I'll update this thread when i have results one way or the other.

I guess I just needed to post this to get the juices flowing to figure it out. But never bad to put the information out there for someone else.

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally getting around to posting the conclusion of this little saga.

All problems are SOLVED!

1. Cruise Control: The correct neutral safety switch fixed the cruise control problem. I can not set it when its in gear, and can not set it when its in neutral. Only a slightly annoying ~30 min project to replace again.

2. Climbing idle: The other problem with the idle creeping up high when the clutch got pushed in does indeed seem to be fixed with the new (used) gas pedal assembly from ebay. Its been 2.5 weeks or so since the replacement, and I haven't seen the idle surge up once. This was a very easy ~10 minute project.

Hopefully this little monologue of a thread will help someone else having these problems at some point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts