Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester xT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a code p0420 recently that i haven't taken care of yet(wife was very pregnent and our son was just born days ago). I was taking my other son to school and realized there wasn't any boost. Right away I figured turbo is gone. I then read that the banjo bolts have a screen that gets clogged if not maintained or screen removed. With that said the day before it stopped boosting it ran great. I parked the xT for the past week and was forced to drive it to the store. Upon reaching the store i saw blue smoke when I parked...and after I got out of the store it took a longer crank to get the xT started. I drove it home and just parked it again. Hopefully I haven't clogged the converters.

So does this sound like a turbo that met its death? If so...what recommendations are there for replacement. I've seen TDO4's go for 150-200 depending on mileage. One gentleman has one forsale here a few days ago that I haven't contacted yet. Oh...sorry...its a auto...not standard. It doesn't have to be a speed demon...but if upgrading to a different turbo...getting a different downpipe or something like that without a different ecu will gain a little...i'd be ok with that. I need to keep costs down as much as I possibly can. Suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Premium CVT
757 Posts
Hello Jeff!

Congrats on your new baby Boy!

as for your car....

Yes, it seems as though your turbo has bit the dust.... and the cat in your up pipe may have caused it... or your blocked oil line fitting filters as you also surmised.... remove these and inspect them for particles and have your turbo off....

Mine didn't last as long as yours, because it started smoking sooner, but, it kept making boost for awhile after it started smoking....I was only making 14psi on it at the time I think.....

as for cheapo upgrades that will swap in, you really don't have much choice unless you are willing to get a tune for the different turbo....

at minimum, you would want to get an STI up pipe and do the resistor mod and get a nice used TDO4 turbo....

if you want to upgrade some to make a nice power difference:

1. STI Intercooler

2. STI turbo..... VF22, VF30,VF34, VF39, VF43,VF48.....

3. Walbro hi-Pressure fuel pump

4. TUNE for the different turbo and intercooler....

Optional parts to further upgrade if you can find a good deal....

1. Hi Flow catted Downpipe

2. hi flow midpipe

Probably want to leave the stock muffler on there with all those babies and the wife in the car with ya!!!

my 5 year old loves how my car sounds with no cats, 3 inch all the way to a cobb forester XT catback system.... but, my wife, that is a different story...... ;-)

GOOD LUCK man!
RYNO

·
Registered
2004 Forester xT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kindly RYNO on the congrats and the info!!!

I raced imports long ago and put my older son through the full range of exhaust notes...that boy was droaned a few times. At this point that was my question...stick with the td04 since its an auto and my wifes car...or upgrade it because its not far off once you change out the turbo for a larger or more efficient model. Seems that I should stick with a stocker and change that up pipe to the STI(04 only?)

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Thank you kindly RYNO on the congrats and the info!!!

I raced imports long ago and put my older son through the full range of exhaust notes...that boy was droaned a few times. At this point that was my question...stick with the td04 since its an auto and my wifes car...or upgrade it because its not far off once you change out the turbo for a larger or more efficient model. Seems that I should stick with a stocker and change that up pipe to the STI(04 only?)
Any catless uppipe will do. Be sure to get one with a flex section.

If you are going to keep the turbo back exhaust stock, stick with the td04. If your willing to do post turbo exhaust work, I would upgrade the turbo as well. But the stock exhaust is so restrictive that if you put a bigger turbo on it, about all you would get is slower spool...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
71 Posts
Ihave an 04 xt as well. My td04 went aot a month ago with 70000 miles so count yourself as lucky to get 115. The biggest difference in expense at this piont wil be getting a Cobb AP or protune if you go with a bigger turbo. With that said if you want more power a cobb AP will be the key to easy power even if you replace the TD04.An up pipe of some kind is a must but be prepared to put in some hard work to get the stock sucker out. You can get the td04 ported and polished along with the turbine wheel clipped and even a 19t compressor wheel installed. But it would be more cost effective to go with a vf39.
I do have a real nice looking vf39 if your interested. Never installed it but was told it only has 30000 miles on it. If it's your wifes car a td04 might be the way to go. The bigger turbo will hit a lot harder when it hits boost. If you have the money know would be the time to put in an aftermarket downpipe along with an uppipe and with a Cobb Ap you could do a stage 2 tune and have a real nice DD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts