Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan on completely revamping/replacing my turbo set up. Obviously in doing so I'll have the stock setup just kinda... hangin around

well my mom has an 07 2.5i impreza and she was kinda wonderin if i could put the setup on her car... thats right... SHE was wondering.
My mom is like 52... badass old lady

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,160 Posts
Your mom is wanting to add a turbo to her car or swap in an '04 XT motor? To be honest, I wouldn't do either... The stock NA EJ25 is good for 6-7 psi of boost due to the already high compression ratio. It'd be cheaper/easier to sell her Impreza and buy an XT.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,861 Posts
Anything is possible, if you have the time & money. Having installed an AVO turbo kit in my '03X, now my son's, I'd never do it again. It's been very reliable, but it's way too expensive & it's not a "plug & play" installation. I'd recommend trading in the N/A for an XT. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
My sister wanted to do the same thing to her MY06 2.5i Impreza with the stock turbo parts off my FSXT. When I told her that just a stock-ish tune like from my car with the original parts put onto her car would max out her engine and potentially blow, she changed her mind.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Sound advice posted above. NAs do not take boost well, High starting compression ratio, open deck block design = HG issues and cracked cylinder walls.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
407 Posts
Despite what people who WANT to do it may tell you, those that HAVE done it, or been around to seen it done enough will tell you ONE thing.

Dont do it.

The motors simply dont hold up to boost. They pop even at 5PSI, even with proper intercooling and fueling/engine management, they just dont hold up to boost unless you do pistons (lower compression specifically)
By the time you do that, you could swap a turbo motor in easier and cheaper. And usually, by the time you swap a turbo motor in, you could have traded the car in on a turbocharged model, cheaper.

Sure, there are some rare cases of them holding up, but typically, those cars never went too many miles on the setup. Some have, but honestly, we are talking about 1 in 100 lasts more than 10k miles. Many blow up in 5k or less. Some blow up in under 500 miles. I have seen one blow up on the way home from the installation, and this car was "done right", and was only running 7PSI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts