Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire advice needed for my '04 xt with stock wheels....

Currently I have 3 tires that are: Dunlop SP60's P215/60R16 94S
And another that I had to buy in a pinch.

One of the Dunlop's has developed a slow flat, and I'm thinking if I should just buy 4 new tires, or if i should fix the slow flat and buy a matching Dunlop... (or buy two new matching dunlops...?)

If i were to stay in los angeles, I would just get a new set of:
225/55R16 Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Blackwall

However, I'll be doing a move to Long Island... where I may need to deal with some snow.

So.... What tires do you guys recommend for a stock '04 XT if my priorities are: Street Handling first, with the ability to deal with weather passably (safe and cautious...)

Thanks,

r.

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
+1 for Michelins... I'm running Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and love them. Definitely get the 5th tire for the spare as well.

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 for Michelins... I'm running Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and love them. Definitely get the 5th tire for the spare as well.
What is the difference between the Pilot Sports and Exalto's?
Have the Pilot Exalto's been updated? They seem to have been around for a while.

thanks for all the responses!

r.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Continental contiextremecontact. Best tire I've -ever- used, especially in NY/NJ. Cheaper than the michelins, better snow performance, and great performance on pavement.

I just keep the stock spare as I'll only use it temporarily in emergencies and the newer ones come with a donut spare anyway, so my stock size one will be close enough.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
The Pilot Sports are ultra high performance all-seasons. Very pricey, but this is my 3rd set of Pilots overall and they have proven to be the most versatile, durable, and performance-oriented tires I've had on my car so far. IMHO they outhandle the BFG G-Force Sport UHP summer tires I was running previously and still add all-weather capabilites to the mix. Their wet performance is out of this world - they can displace standing water like it's not even there. Oh yeah, treadwear warranty to 45k miles. We'll see how that goes... ;)

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4eat
130 Posts
I've got a set of Federals on mine right now that are ok for rolling. Stocker looks to be Toyo TPT which I am almost always a Fan of Toyo.

I'm a little surprised to see Michelin fans as I generally think they are good but way overpriced.

I would like to try a set of the Extreme contacts. Gotta go do my homework though this is my first AWD car.

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Continental contiextremecontact. Best tire I've -ever- used, especially in NY/NJ. Cheaper than the michelins, better snow performance, and great performance on pavement.

I just keep the stock spare as I'll only use it temporarily in emergencies and the newer ones come with a donut spare anyway, so my stock size one will be close enough.
interesting choice... on tire rack there is nothing said about the snow performance... but you say it is as good or better?

thanks,
r

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XT
101 Posts
Watch out for Yokohama's newest addition, AVID ENVigor all seasons. So far very good reviews. I'm keeping a close eye on this one once my all-terrains wear out.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
interesting choice... on tire rack there is nothing said about the snow performance... but you say it is as good or better?

thanks,
r
One of the best all season tires I've used in the snow. I used them in NJ for 1 or 2 winters and then for 1 winter up in rochester before I went to dedicated snow tires, and had no issues (I actually sold my dedicated snows and am going to pick up the newer extremecontact DWS for year round use now that I'm back in NJ, but those are only available in bigger sizes). Snow is definitely one of its strong points. The only all season that is definitely better in snow is the nokian wr-G2 and similar and those are quite pricey. You can even google "contiextremecontact" and "snow" or even search on here, a lot of people in the northeast seem to love them.

Another tire that looks promising (I put them on our prius, and a friend put them on his 06 forester) is the general altimax HP, but I haven't gotten to try them in the snow yet. Great bang for the buck.

I've never looked much into michelin as they've generally just been out of my price range, and I can't justify spending that much when NJ roads are just going to destroy my tires anyway!:chair:

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
I can't speak for the ContiExtremeContact, but I run the Continental ExtremeWinterContact as a dedicated snow tire, and I am impressed. Not only did they get me anywhere I wanted to go in the snow, they handled quite well on dry roads, and they are quiet. I'm seriously considering the ExtremeContact DWS next time I need all-season tires.

I have had Michelins on my Prius, and what I can say is that they are excellent in the rain, and they last a long time. I've also had the Goodyear TripleTread on the Prius, and they similarly do well in the rain and last a long time.

Good luck with your decision. There are a lot of good tires out there.

David

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to have the 5th for the spare... the spare would be a slightly different size... but aren't the temporary donuts also a different size? and don't they make do temporarily?

Just trying to save some $$

r.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
When it comes tire time for my wife and I, I am actually leaning away from the Pilot Sport A/S. We had them on my wifes old Passat, and they run really narrow and wore really quickly. Her 245's were no wider at the tread than the 225's I had on my old car.

I'm planning on putting my Outback wheels (17x7) on her car with 225/45/17 Continental Contact Extreme DWS's, and putting the same on my car when I get new wheels (17x7.5 STi BBS wheels) in 245/50/17.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts