Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT5MT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Tom, I have a couple of questions about the short shift kit/bushings... I am in Canada, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time as there are no local vendors. I know I cannot order direct from you, but I figured you were the best qualified to ask about the actual product.

1) I am planning on getting the Forester specific shifter, with both replacement bushings- my understanding is that the shifter height after the install should be about the same as stock as long as I get the rear bushing- Is this correct?

2) I will probably also treat myself to a shift knob at the same time- Do you know the weight of the delrin vs. the aluminum? Also, how much (if any ) shorter is the kartboy knob than the stock one? Also, is there a metal insert in the delrin knob for threads? ( Or any reports of stripped threads out there?)

3) Can you please confirm these are the right parts? (From OAKOS.com )
1. KB-002-XT lever/bushing combo (includes KB-001XT and KB-003 )
2. KB-003REAR

Your products get really good reviews, they're just a little hard to come by around here...I just want to see how much the overall shifter height might end up dropping if I get the SS kit and the knob, and to make extra sure I get the right parts.
Thanks a lot, Seb Bot

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
552 Posts
Hi
you can go through Touge Tuning they are the KB distributor up in the great north.
As for the parts. those are the correct ones for the car. IF you wanted to go with even a lower knob height you can run the 97-01 RS shifter that will drop it about another inch from the XT Kartboy shifter. in my old FXT i was running the RS shifter with the front and rear bushings along with one of our knobs. I believe Peaty is still running the same thing. you might see if he has any pictures posted of the setup. its uber short but feels so good. :)

let me know if you have any other questions
Tom

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
hey tom what about us guys that bought the sti 5-speed short shifter can we run the rs with the bushings too... and does it drop it a extra inch? thanks mike

·
Registered
04 FXT5MT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for answering Tom (and others). I don't know that I really want to move the shifter height down a whole lot, so I will definitely be getting the Forester specific unit. I may even wait till I get the shifter installed before I worry about the knob, just to see how it feels a little lower first with just the shifter.

Tom, I knew Touge was a kartboy vendor (only one in Canada), but their web site doesn't list much Forester specific stuff, or actually use the kartboy part numbers. I will contact them with the proper numbers to see what they say as far as pricing and delivery. One way or the other I will have kartboy goodness!!!

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I really like the lower shifter height. I didn't think I would either at the beginning.

The low shifter height is one thing but the short shifting is SO, SO nice after the kartboy SS and bushings front and rear.

dm

·
Registered
04 FXT5MT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kartboy goodies ordered!

Tom, thanks for re-directing me back to Touge... I e-mailed them late last night to ask about getting the Forester unit; Chris over there got back to me within the hour, and they have it in stock. I signed up for paypal today, and the goods should be on the way!
( I also ordered the black delrin shift knob...needed a little bling that could be seen! )
Good stuff, really looking forward to getting it here and installed!

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
Yes all the Foresters up till the switch in 07(i think) they use a larger lower ball and a different center section.

Tom
so Tom if I want the shortest shift with the aftermarket sti 5-speed shifter? what do I need to buy and what other bushings will I need I know I need the rear shfter bushing and bracket what else? and should I order direct from you? or is there someplace to get a discount on the bushings and shifter thanks mike

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,395 Posts
The rear bushing actually raises it an inch or so. I didn't like that so I went back with the stocker. It added some positive engaging feel but it wasn't worth the raise in height IMO.

My car has the RS shifter which drops it some, maybe 2" IIRC, the front KB bushing, and an STi knob which dropped it another 3/4" or so. Here's a pic for reference.

Whatever you do, Tom's stuff is awesome, you can't go wrong!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
The rear bushing actually raises it an inch or so. I didn't like that so I went back with the stocker. It added some positive engaging feel but it wasn't worth the raise in height IMO.

My car has the RS shifter which drops it some, maybe 2" IIRC, the front KB bushing, and an STi knob which dropped it another 3/4" or so. Here's a pic for reference.

Whatever you do, Tom's stuff is awesome, you can't go wrong!!!
so did your car have the sti short shifter in it already? before you bought the rs shifter? I was told the rs shifter lowers the sti short shifter a inch so the rear bushings would put it back where it is now?

·
Registered
04 FXT5MT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I got the wrong lever!!!

Hi Tom, my shifter/bushings arrived from Touge today, but I think they sent me an Impreza lever; Can you confirm the overall length?? ( The one I received measured about 11-1/2 inches from end to end; The number on the sticker is KB014263.)

I just looked at the comparo pics on Scooby mods, and it definitely looks a little short...On the somewhat unscientific holding it up to the screen test, I would say it definitely matches up better to the Impreza unit!

I would like to confirm it's actually wrong beforeI contact the vendor...please let me know, thanks a lot.

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
552 Posts
Hi Tom, my shifter/bushings arrived from Touge today, but I think they sent me an Impreza lever; Can you confirm the overall length?? ( The one I received measured about 11-1/2 inches from end to end; The number on the sticker is KB014263.)

I just looked at the comparo pics on Scooby mods, and it definitely looks a little short...On the somewhat unscientific holding it up to the screen test, I would say it definitely matches up better to the Impreza unit!

I would like to confirm it's actually wrong beforeI contact the vendor...please let me know, thanks a lot.
measure the center width of the shifter. should be about 29mm wide. the upper half on the FXT shifter is 125mm long. RS one is right around 99-100mm long.

or post a picture. the numbers on the shifter are a serial number and not a part number. was there a part number on the bag?

Tom

·
Registered
04 FXT5MT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tom, the center section is about 29mm wide. The "upper half" is about 112mm from the outer edge of the center section to the start of the threaded section. ( If I measure from the middle of the hole in the center section to the start of the threads it would then be approx 125mm, is this what you mean?)

Also, I totally screwed up when I said the overall length was 11-1/2 inches, it's really more like 9-1/2 ( 240mm ) overall, from the end of the ball to the end of the threads.

I realize the number on the sticker is not a part number, but I thought you would be able to tell by serial number... There was no number on the bag.

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, or know how to post pictures anyway...I realize that would probably make things easier, I'm hoping you'll be able to tell me without getting a pic!

·
Registered
04 FXT5MT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a lot Tom, I do have the right one after all!

I really wasn't sure at first because I was surprised it was in stock at the vendor, and then it came in a bag with no number, and it looked a little different from the pics I had seen... All is well, thanks again!

( I have not got it installed yet, but I'm looking forward to it )

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
I have an 04 xt if i got the shifter for the RS can i also use the RS bushings or do i need to get the RS shifter and forster bushings?

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,395 Posts
so did your car have the sti short shifter in it already? before you bought the rs shifter? I was told the rs shifter lowers the sti short shifter a inch so the rear bushings would put it back where it is now?
Sorry for the late response. No, I went from the stocker to the RS shifter. That dropped it a couple inches. It was significant. The rear bushing will raise it a bit. The pic I posted was with:

RS shifter + KB front bushing + stock bushing + STi knob only

Don't be confused by the STi part; it's the ball only, got it on subarugenuineparts.com; the rest is stock XT stuff and/or KB stuff.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester SG5 5MT
199 Posts
I wonder if it's possible at all for me to order the FXT shifter with the bushings and get it delivered to Irkutsk, Russia... looks like there is no way? :(

If so, I'll be visiting Birmingham, UK in the first half of december, probably there is a way to order it and get it delivered there?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts