Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Thunderbird Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking into buying a used Forester this summer. Ive decided that I want to purchase either an 04 xt or an 03 x or xs (auto). I understand the large difference in power between the two models but was wondering if it would be possible to get at least close to the same power out of an n/a for about $1000 in upgrades. My total budget is around $6000 or less so I am wondering which model would be a better idea to purchase.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
If you want power, get the turbo. You can't get anywhere close regarding power with $1k in upgrades with the n/a.

·
Registered
1997 Thunderbird Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think $6000 is a realistic price for an fxt? Ive been searching the classified and only found a few in the $6000-7000 range

·
Registered
2004 XT 5 MT
1,113 Posts
A word of caution here the 03 and in fact I believe the 05 and older non turbos can have head gasket problems. Do a search on here for more info. Also the power levels are night and day and the na will never reach xt power levels without some serious motor work. I would ask yourself what your needs are and go from there

·
Registered
1997 Thunderbird Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A word of caution here the 03 and in fact I believe the 05 and older non turbos can have head gasket problems. Do a search on here for more info. Also the power levels are night and day and the na will never reach xt power levels without some serious motor work. I would ask yourself what your needs are and go from there
The added power is just a preference, since it would perform better at higher altitudes and overall. So i guess my only question now is if I can realistically find one for around $6k

-and I'm from the Bozeman area

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 Speed
740 Posts
I remember coming across this one. It seems like most of the cheaper ones are over on the east coast
Funny, because sometimes it feels like the cheaper ones are on the west coast.. :crazy:

There are defiantly some good deals over here that I pass up because they're auto's, and I refuse to buy another auto.

Also, def. buy the XT, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2004 XT 5 MT
1,113 Posts
I think subarus hold their value in places like montana, WA etc. you should be able to find one if you keep looking. Also you won't regret going turbo. Make sure you pay for a vehicle inspection with compression test before purchasing.

I live near missoula

·
Registered
1990 isoozooooo... 5MT
116 Posts
auto with 193k on the clock for $5.2k?

Only looked at first post pleiad7 in your link and there asking 5200FIRM but a 10-11 year old turbo forester 193k+ this new year well that looks like dealer pricing when nearing 200k so maybe poster lowered the price since June-2013?

Novice/5-post original thread poster/buyer should be looking at bout $3.5 or so and then unlesss its original owner with records expect to pay $$$$/1000++ to get up to snuff. It was only a=bout $26k msrp back in the day

Too many plop there cars in forums - here and others - with high prices. Some DYI's buy them and then do the work for themselves and family but if your not a wrencher that price along with $95+/hour and parts is a pit-o-money.

Way it is.

Ya' payed $6k in NYC so maybe you gotta great car and maybe overpaid so more details needed and anyway why do you need a car in Brooklyn let alone awd? Parking on the street or $425+/month for a garage? If less then let me know cause my cousins looking for a <300 dollar garage. thanx guy

I paid exactly 6k for my XT. Location: Brooklyn, NY
Car Year: 2004 Car Model: Forester XTi Transmission: 4EAT

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
Ya' payed $6k in NYC so maybe you gotta great car and maybe overpaid so more details needed and anyway why do you need a car in Brooklyn let alone awd? Parking on the street or $425+/month for a garage? If less then let me know cause my cousins looking for a <300 dollar garage. thanx guy[/QUOTE]

I did get a great car, thanks. Why I need a car? Hmm, I'll let you figure that one out own your own bud. You've asked some amazing questions there.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
219 Posts
Its not just private sales that keep the prices high on Subarus. They have one of the highest resale values of any brand right now. Add to that their record growth the past few years. People want them and they don't sit around used for long.

To the OP if you are not in a hurry and are willing to travel there are deals out there. It took me about 4 months before I got mine. I would also get a XT.

·
Registered
98 Forester L
136 Posts
Funny, because sometimes it feels like the cheaper ones are on the west coast.. :crazy:

There are defiantly some good deals over here that I pass up because they're auto's, and I refuse to buy another auto.

Also, def. buy the XT, you won't regret it.
Can you tell me why it is you don't like the auto? Ever have problems with it, or do you just prefer to shift?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 Speed
740 Posts
I prefer to shift and be more engaged. I'm 17, want that feel of having a clutch and having a shifter. I've never actually had a manual car nor am I good at driving it, but I know how and I've done it a couple times and like it a lot.
Its a pretty good tranny. Mine shifts smooth usually and is easy. Keep in mind that you only get a 50/50 power split (front to rear) in 1 or 2 with the auto where the 5mt is 100% 50/50.

·
Registered
98 Forester L
136 Posts
Got it. I hear ya. My current vehicle, a '05 Corolla XRS has a 6spd close-ratio manual and I love it. Very engaging and fun to drive and shift.

But I think for the powerband of a FXT and for serious launching and or aggressive driving, auto seems like way to go. At least I remember reading the WRX 5spd doesn't take much long-run abuse and you have to shift pretty carefully with those, like baby it on launching and shifts. That would take some of the fun out of it for me, not being able to flog on it and not worry.

50/50 split 1st and 2nd? Sounds sweet. Then back up to 90/10 3rd/4th? Sounds better that way for fuel economy. Another reason I'd personally lean toward the auto.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 Speed
740 Posts
From what I understand the WRX and FXT have very different trannys, the FXTs being stronger. And I think only a couple years of WRX'es had the glass tranny issue.

You would think the split like that would yield better mileage, but from what I've seen it doesn't, or hardly any, because all of the AWD parts are still spinning. It sounds good until you're trying to drive in the snow and its getting a little waggly, so you put it in 2 and now you're limited to about 40mph and 4k rpm.

Im not sure about the gearing. People seem to love their XT's no matter what trans they have. I guess its just preference. I want manual, so I'm going to get manual. I also plan on building my FXT with a vf48 and sti top mount at first then possibly a Dom 1.5 or blousch 20g later on with all the supporting mods.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts