Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm having some issues troubleshooting a transmission knock. I hate to use the "k-word" but that's the best way I can describe it.

When accelerating away from a stop in first gear, I get a slight knock or shunt. It occasionally happens in second or third, but mostly first. It's not engine related -- I can rev the engine with the clutch in or with the transmission in neutral without hearing it.

I've been under the XT shaking everything I can imagine and haven't been able to replicate the noise. It's driving me absolutely crazy.

I hate to start a new thread on this topic, but I'm desperate here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just changed the axles with Subaru refurbished bits tonight and I'm still having the problem. One of the posts I ran across said it could be a trans mount, but those look ok to me. Then again, I don't really know what ones look like that don't have 100k miles on them.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
do you just hear the knock only when shifting gears? that would point to diff bushing/mounts most likely. you can get stiffer ones that are less likely to knock at the expense of more noise transmitted inside car.

you can try searching youtube for subaru clunk or subaru knock and hear a lot of different things to compare to your sound.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
37 Posts
Hate to bring up a old thread but I'm experiencing the same problem just want to verify if a 02-04 WRX drive shaft is compatible with a '04 FXT?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts