Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you might have noticed in some of my other posts, I need to replace my header on my 04 XT 4EAT.

The heat shields took an awful beating and the passenger side collector did too.

I'd like to know what my options are without:

Having to change my oil cooler.
Having a new header rub on my oil filter, or needing to get a smaller oil filter.
Having to change my oil pan.

I'd like to:

Go with an ebay header if it can meet the above requirements.

or

Go with a Grimspeed crossover pipe and STI collectors.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know which Ebay headers (if any) meet my requirements for an 04 XT 4EAT?

2) Alternatively, will all 04-07 STI collectors work in place of the FXT collectors?

3) Can my existing, yet somewhat damaged heat shields work with the STI collectors? I would like to increase visibility in this area, so I may not bother, but would like to ask just in case someone knows.

4) Can the STI collectors be wrapped? Is it a hard wrap for someone who doesn't know how to wrap?

I have searched and searched and searched. There is alot of information, but alot of it is inconclusive.

I might just send the collectors off to be coated, but still want to know what my options are before proceeding.

Any straight answers will help make my life easier.

Thank you! :new_multi:

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
Don't spend any money on the stock header.. I would get a aftermarket uel header .. It will fit and give you more performance , especially with a bigger turbo , buy some header wrap and wrap the header.. The agency power uel is pretty cheap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
842 Posts
Cheap ebay headers usually crack at the welds.

I'd recommend a used STi header set up. I got one from a '12 for $100 (with original heat shields), any year STi will fit. But you can't use an FXT cross pipe with the STi collectors, the cross pipe is specific to the collectors.

I have the GS cross pipe but am not sold on it. I've seen evidence both for and against. But if you just buy a used STi header you'll be spending the same or less than a crappy ebay header. I coated everything in swain tech and then wrapped it as well but am not running heat shields.

Wrapping is fairly easy, don't sweat it.

Any equal length header will require a new oil pan and oil cooler.

hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, both of you have my brain pulled in different directions.

spec_bg:

Are you positive that those headers will fit subject to my requirements...without:

Having to change my oil cooler.
Having a new header rub on my oil filter, or needing to get a smaller oil filter.
Having to change my oil pan.

If so, do you have a source in mind? I have found them to be a bit expensive (I am probably just cheap).

Shef:

Thanks for letting me know that ALL STI headers will work.

I read in some post way back in 06 (I think that the late 05-06 is better than the 04-early 05 but who knows).

Your plan seems very similar to mine actually (doubting that it is for the same reason e.g. trying to get more visibility to view leaks though).

What made you ditch the heat shields? Less crowding? Less weight? Simplicity?

How much did it cost you to send it all to Swain shipped and back if you don't mind?

How do you feel the temperatures are as compared to just having a heat shield on.

I am tempted to just VHT the damn pipes. The thing is, I can't find any real data on whether the ceramic found in VHT brings down the temps or not. It would only be an infrared thermometer away. Seem to be just fine on all of my 4g63 vehicles (no cooked alternators).

Last question that remains unanswered would be whether or not FXT shields fit the STI pipes. I ask because I am in contact with a few folks right now but some of the pipes seem to lack heat shields. Of course the price is adjusted accordingly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts