Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a complete set for sale close to my, unknown mileage :confused: The struts have been re-greased.

My current setup is 06 WRX wagon struts + STi pink wagon springs (Thanks Joe).

I'm wondering if it's worth it to swap it out for the STi set. The Crucial springs are progressive with higher rates than the wagon springs.

Would I get another 1'' lower in ride height? Do I need to disassemble and cut the bump stops? Would the rears now sag?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Crucials will get you a bit lower, about 14" from wheel center to fender edge. No, I talked to Jeremy (the owner of Crucial) and he says you don't need to. I didn't, haven't hit bump stops. Rear will sag. I used the 3/8" spacer and it sits just right.

That said, the spring rates are pretty similar iirc... you're at 234/195 right? Crucials are 257/217. Is it worth it for that close of rates? Plus I think Crucial blues have potential coil binding issues, but not Crucial blacks (that I've seen yet). That said, I'm pretty happy with my Crucial blacks! :)

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks neoshi.

Weird I did a rough measure yesterday and I'm at roughly 14'' from wheel center to fender edge on my current setup.

I think those numbers are about right. Maybe I should hold off the urge.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Ah ok so the drop is pretty much identical then (maybe 0.5" lower on crucials since I seem to be sitting @ 13.5" but others seem to be at 14.0".. weird!). Also Crucials are progressive but in all honesty, I've never really felt that big of a benefit from progressive vs linear.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, I guess everybody's butts are different :lol:

OK, scratch that idea then. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts