Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester L Automatic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing a swap to create my dream car. I want to get a usdm 04 Impreza wrx sti, put the drive train, ecu, subframe, and suspension into my 98 usdm Forester L. I was just wondering if there would be any major snags in this. :Banane29:

·
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,465 Posts
That is a pretty open-ended question. What is your skill level. Have you ever done a swap? Will you do your own wiring? Honestly, this has become a pretty straight forward swap, and there is lots of info out there on it. If the wiring scares you, there is a company (one guy IIRC) called i-wire that will do the harness merge for you for about $650. I've done exactly one harness merge, and it took quite a while. Say, about 100 hrs of research and planning, 10 hrs of cutting, soldering, and splicing, and another 3 hrs of troubleshooting what I did wrong. I had more time than money, so it made sense to DIY. But if I had $650 to not have to do it again, I would pay it in a heart beat. The mechanical part of the swap is pretty much bolt-on.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru forester Soon to be manual
86 Posts
I am doing the exact same thing with my 99 forester. That's the only thing I think I will have trouble with is the harness merge. Is it just a matter of swapping connectors or more than that?
That is a pretty open-ended question. What is your skill level. Have you ever done a swap? Will you do your own wiring? Honestly, this has become a pretty straight forward swap, and there is lots of info out there on it. If the wiring scares you, there is a company (one guy IIRC) called i-wire that will do the harness merge for you for about $650. I've done exactly one harness merge, and it took quite a while. Say, about 100 hrs of research and planning, 10 hrs of cutting, soldering, and splicing, and another 3 hrs of troubleshooting what I did wrong. I had more time than money, so it made sense to DIY. But if I had $650 to not have to do it again, I would pay it in a heart beat. The mechanical part of the swap is pretty much bolt-on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1999 Forester LSTi V7 STi 6MT VLSD
38 Posts
Theres a lot more involved than just swapping connectors. there are extra sensors and stuff that need to be added in. I did some research and found it much more cost/time effective to have Brian at I-wire take care of the harness. When i got it back, it went right back in just like the stock one. Only had to solder one wire, for the fuel pump controller. Its been 2 years, never had a problem with the soldering or wiring.

The mechanical stuff is simple. Make sure you use the STI steering column, the number of splines is different I believe. You'll also want a Walbro or similar upgraded fuel pump, if you're not going to use the STi one.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
129 Posts
A STI swap into a USDM SF5 Forester has always appealed to me since they were available in other markets. I was wondering if the wiring issue was a plug & play or at least simpler if you started with a 98/99 USDM DOHC 2.5 rather than the SOHC engine?

·
Registered
1999 EJ205 Forester 5MT
93 Posts
I am doing the exact same thing with my 99 forester. That's the only thing I think I will have trouble with is the harness merge. Is it just a matter of swapping connectors or more than that?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
http://glaciuz.com/brydon/ A guide to merging the wires. Does anyone know if the 1999 impreza RS has the same harness as the 1999 forester?

·
Registered
1998 Forester L/ Ej205
2 Posts
I know this is like a 1 year old thread but im currently working on an jdm 02 ej205 swap on a 98 forester. If your forester has the dohc 2.5 motor that the RS has, then the wiring harnesses will be close to identical. Just my 2 cents. If you have any other question and or input on the topic id love to hear it.

Did you end up going through with the swap?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts