Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 STi and Fxt
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 04 Forester xt that has a slight knocking noise in the lower rpm range of first gear. It starts to happen as the clutch is being engaged and the car starts to move forward. It is not very loud by any means, but I do not like it.

Anyone have similar problems? What can this be. The dealer replaced the clutch 300 miles ago.

Thanks

*NOTE* The noise is only present in the beginning of first gear. It isnt present in the higher rpm range of first or any other gear.

Loose mount? End Links? Throw out Bearing? Gear problem?

*****EDIT****** Fixed the problem. Car is great, quiet, perfect! I retightened the bolts that hold the downpipe to the chassis, loosened the front shifter stay bushings and re-torqued them to the factory spec(13 ft/lbs) and she is like new!

Please help!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
53 Posts
Maybe the dealer didn't change your throw out bearing. Does the noise happen only when the car begins to move or do you also hear it with the just the clutch in?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Check the exhaust manifold and uppipe heatshields. Mine rattle and make the engine sound like its going to fall apart when I first start to move.

·
Registered
04 STi and Fxt
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the dealer didn't change your throw out bearing. Does the noise happen only when the car begins to move or do you also hear it with the just the clutch in?
Only when it begins to move. Clutch in there is no noise.

·
Registered
04 STi and Fxt
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the exhaust manifold and uppipe heatshields. Mine rattle and make the engine sound like its going to fall apart when I first start to move.
I will have to do that. I am thinking the downpipe to tranny bracket might be loose also.

Thanks all and continue suggestions and experience if you have them!

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
slight knocking noise in the lower rpm range of first gear

Wintershredder did you ever resolve the problem of slight knocking noise in the lower rpm range of first gear. I'm having a similar experience which occurs at the very end of the clutch release and seems to be in the rear of the car.

·
Registered
04 STi and Fxt
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wintershredder did you ever resolve the problem of slight knocking noise in the lower rpm range of first gear. I'm having a similar experience which occurs at the very end of the clutch release and seems to be in the rear of the car.
I fixed the front suspension knock problem. It ended up being a loose sway bar endlink. You should try that first. Put a 5mm allen key in the endlink bolt and tighten the nut with a wrench. Do that to all 4 points in the rear of the car. If that isnt the problem for you, it sounds like

a) your rear struts are toast or dry
b)your rear tophats on the struts are shot
c)your rear diff is shot

I still havent really fixed the knocking noise. I am going to get new motor and trans mounts, and the front and rear shifter stay bushings. If that doesnt work, I am going to put the 6 speed from my STi in the car.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Knocking noise from first gear

Thanks you very much for the reply and direction, I'll check out those points tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts