Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 04 Forester XT engine totally rebuilt with about 15k miles on it swapped into a VW vanagon. My setup is mostly stock and not really designed for high performance.
My AVCS timing degrees are different by about 8-9º (the RH is not advancing more than about 3-4º @~3,000rpms,). I get NO codes relating to cam timing.
Ive replaced the solenoids, double checked timing belt alignment and feel pretty confident that the cam sprockets themselves are in good shape. (just rebuilt and cleaned).
I drive it pretty gently, rarely taking it above 4,000 rpms which is when the AVCS really starts to work.
It runs well, no lagging or noticeable performance issues, however I am getting a pretty rich idle which makes me wonder if its related to AVCS timing.

My question is what is the spec for the allowed timing difference between cams? I searched thru my FSM but can't find the spec.
Because I'm not getting P0011 or P0021 it makes me think that my cams are not different enough to throw the codes.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
48 Posts
I do not recall the FSM listing a "tolerance" for out of sync cams. You might want to post to the "Built Motor" part of nasioc as there are a lot of very experienced engine builders there that may have a better answer.

I have had P0021 show up at about 13-14°. Something to watch for though, is when that side is consistently bouncing. This can indicate that the timing belt tensioner is failing. Likewise if your bank 2 cam advance is consistently higher than bank 1 you will also want to replace ( or at least exercise ) the tensioner.

Also keep in mind that wild differences in angle can lead to bent valves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had P0021 show up at about 13-14°. Something to watch for though, is when that side is consistently bouncing. This can indicate that the timing belt tensioner is failing. Likewise if your bank 2 cam advance is consistently higher than bank 1 you will also want to replace ( or at least exercise ) the tensioner.

Also keep in mind that wild differences in angle can lead to bent valves.
thanks for the response!
Your P0021 shows up when the cams are 13-14º different? Or when both cams are are at that angle?

Timing belt and tensioner are brand new 5k miles ago relating to a different issue, no apparent bouncing of timing degrees.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 6 speed
120 Posts
Not sure if it is relevant or not but it could be related to the banjo bolt filters. Did you remove them all? I know they have them on the AVCS banjo's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if it is relevant or not but it could be related to the banjo bolt filters. Did you remove them all? I know they have them on the AVCS banjo's
All banjo filters removed. Made sure of that when I built the engine. I haven't seen a difference in angle greater than 9º. Usually it runs about 7º different so maybe I'm ok? Just not ideal.

I just recently got an access port where Im able to see cam timing values, previously I was just using a generic obd2 scan tool and could not read avcs timing. Ive put about 15k miles on it since the build, and I assume the cam timing has been slightly different the whole time, so I guess theres some solace in the fact that I haven't bent a valve yet...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
48 Posts
I am considering a similar swap project next year, and would really like to see more of your Westfalia. Do you have a build thread on vortex/samba/wheelwell ???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump.
Can anyone share what their normal running AVCS advance is?
Reading mine on the acessport, I would say that on average the RH is 10º and the LH is 2-3º (about 7-8º different) when Im just rolling down the highway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts