Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Forester has 80k on it, and now the AC is not really working. It was (last week) working fine when my wife was going shopping, then 1/2 way there it stopped working. The blower is still blowing and the lights all say they its fine.

So I figured that it needed a "Freon" boost. I bought a can and charged the system. It was working fine and blowing cold air for a little wile. Now it will come on for a few minutes (>5min) and now the recirculation button/light will flash and you can feel the clutch kicking on and off. And during this time it does not blow cold air. I will turn off the recirculation button and it will stop the flashing light but still no cold...

Any ideas?

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
377 Posts
You may have overcharged the system. AC leaks usually cause slow decline in performance cooling. Only way to know is to measure system pressures. Your description suggests the high side pressure is too high and high pressure cut-out switch is opening to protect system.

Time to get some professional service unless you want to learn auto AC. If yes, then go to ackits.com forum and read the sticky posts on charging. Also a auto AC manual is helpful to understand the systems.

good luck

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i charged it on the low pressure side using the AC gauge... So i would hope to not over fill it?

Thanks for the heads up on the link i will go and check them out.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Pretty much anytime someone uses a DIY kit it ends up overfilled. I'd check those links out or just bring it in, most shops won't charge much to refill and its MUCH easier for them to do with all the correct equipment. It's also likely that some of the seals in your system are failing and causing slow leaks, so you might want to get it recharged with the dye refrigerant so you can see where the leaks are.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was talking to co-worker another car guy/mechanic and he mentioned the Low pressure switch, which is causing the compressor to turn on and off. Sounds like it could be it. I was thinking that could be it also. I might to take it in and see.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got around to having it checked out. The Compressor was bad. I had it changed out and recharged and it blows NICE and COLD again :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts