Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my FXT about 4 months ago, currently have 58,xxx on it. Suddenly one day last week I got a bad exhaust leak between the mid pipe and cat. So today I took the exhaust off expecting to be replacing the donut gasket. Finally go the exhausts off after fighting some rusty bolts, went to pull the gasket out of the backend of the cat and a 3 inch piece of tube came off instead. You can see the broken weld all the way around it. A weld should not break all the way around like this, its bull****.

I will try to get some pictures up if I have enough posts to do so. Otherwise I will link to photobucket or something.

Subaru rust warranty expires after 5 years.
I need some advice about how to approach this with the Subaru dealer I bought this from (3 hour drive away) and/or maybe Subaru in general.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics of broken exhaust

Too virgin to post pics or links sorry. Go to photobucket .com and click the down arrow beside search and select "people" then search for "brokenexhaust". Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too virgin to post pics or links sorry. Go to photobucket .com and click the down arrow beside search and select "people" then search for "brokenexhaust". Any help is appreciated.
Posted an exhaust diagram on here and showed where its broken.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks to BBOTTOMLEY'S "Important Forester info for new members!"

Since this is the back flange of the catalytic converter;
I think it might be covered by this EPA law that states:

There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Terry Subaru didn't go for the EPA cat warranty idea. They say it only applies to the internal precious metals. Does anyone know where I can find more info on they law to make sure they are correct?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to Wes' Muffler & Custom Pipe in Madison Heights Virginia for welding the flange back on my cat for FREE. I have heard other good things from co workers about Wes' so if you need some muffler work or a custom job check it out.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Here are the pics...

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
That is exactly where mine broke also. Got my neighbour to weld it back on for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts