Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 4EAT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone! This is my 2004 Forester XS... Unfortunately not a turbo, clearly, but nonetheless I only paid $530! If I must say, I feel pretty lucky. The only problems it came with were:
1. A bad passenger side ball joint but a replacement came with the purchase.
2. A bad passenger side rear wheel bearing.
3. A fingernail sized hole in the muffler.
4. Two penny sized surface rust spots -one on each quarter panel above tire.
5. A leaky oil cooler
6. Lastly, a check engine light from someone using the wrong gas cap after what I assumed was a lost original gas cap.. drove away with it on top?

Came with 199,000 miles.. Kind of high but out of all the options this was the lowest I could find at the time for what I had. My buddy and I will be replacing the ball joint and wheel bearing this weekend and hopefully taking care of the leaky oil cooler. Today, I'm outside trying to clean some of the fogginess off the headlights. I'll provide some pictures of the sg in general and headlight before and after comparisons.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 4EAT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the comparison for the headlights after only cleaning them with vinegar, baking soda, and the green scruff side of a sponge. They're not finished, I'm just flat broke right now and don't have enough to pick up some 2000 grit sandpaper and UV resistant clearcoat. I guess that's what happens when you're out of work after 7 surgeries on your leg!o_O

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Timing belt goes I think the engine's a goner.
Also valves should need adjustment at that mileage.

..any service records of fluid/ lubricant changes; motor, diffs,trans, coolant, brakes?

Congrats on your new money pit.
Bob Bummer signing off 😉

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 4EAT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks NinoS.. and thanks Makingforestergreatagain, I think? Lol.. Well, unfortunately no, no service records came with it, however I am only the third owner, and the second owner only had it for a few months. A good friend of mine who is a certified mechanic did a pretty thorough job checking everything out though and he's very familiar with Fozzys considering he has one only a year older than mine and does his own work. He said everything is in very good shape. Which is good enough for me. It's only a matter of time till I'm back to work and the drivetrain in that is being ripped out and being replaced by either an LS or a 1UZ-FE. Not sure that the 1UZ will fit though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts