Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some odd reason, the power outside mirror switch will move the passenger mirror in all 4 directions but for the driver's side, only moves it left/right.

Why would the up/down work on the passenger side but not the driver? Is there separate up/down circuits for each side of the car?

I took apart the switch all nothing jumps out as being obviously broken.

I guess my only option is to look for a new switch at a wreckers. Dealer is probably a small fortune for it. That is, unless anyone out there has one for sale? :)

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is up/down cable/motor part of the outside mirror housing? I am trying to figure out what I need to replace to fix the problem.

thx

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,779 Posts
Here is the wiring diagram. I'd check the connectors at the switch and mirror before replacing components. I pretty sure I have a spare switch in the shop that I could send you to help trouble shoot this if that would help.

Good luck,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the wiring diagram.. I must admit that I am not very handy and the wiring diagram isn't going to be much help! I took apart the arm rest on the driver door and checked all the wiring harnesses..They look smug.

I think that it is either the switch on the armrest of something to do with the mechanism that moves the mirror on the outside within the housing. Given that the passenger side mirror moves up/down, why would the switch not also move the driver mirror up/down? This is why I am thinking it may be a problem within the mirror housing on the outside.

Thanks for any additional advice that you can give.

·
Registered
2004 X Auto
9 Posts
In contrast to OP, my drivers side mirror only moves UP/DOWN. Passenger side moves all 4 directions.

I imagine it's either a wire connection issue or the motor inside the mirror housing is dead.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to open up the mirror housing without damage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
3 Posts
I just found this old thread and am having the same problem as OP - my passenger side mirror adjusts in all directions, but the driver's side only goes left/right. It used to be an intermittent problem but has now stopped working altogether.

Has anyone else managed to solve this issue? The dealer wants £350 for a replacement mirror and I haven't managed to track down a salvage part.

·
Registered
2001 forester s turbo
1 Posts
01 Forester left side mirror

I just found this old thread and am having the same problem as OP - my passenger side mirror adjusts in all directions, but the driver's side only goes left/right. It used to be an intermittent problem but has now stopped working altogether.
Exact same problem here, accept for the direction. My driver side mirror only goes up and down.

How can I open/remove the mirror part to have a look inside the box.

Thanks.

2001 Forester S-turbo
Europe main land model

·
Registered
2004 forester xt auto
63 Posts
So I had the same issue on my 2004 XT: pax mirror only worked in one direction. I confirmed 12 volts to mirror assembly connector for all movements.

I took mirror assembly off car, heated glass and removed mirror glass from assembly. Removed support plate and took apart the motor assembly to find two small dc motors. I tried to find replacements on the net, but not available.

So as my driver assembly had some deep scratches on it, I found a inexpensive driver's mirror from a wrecker and planned to move motors from my scratched driver mirror to pax mirror.

Did all that, checked out fine, now I have working mirrors on both sides.

So as I had not labeled which motor was bad, I applied 12 volts to each suspect motor and THEY BOTH WERE GOOD.

I can only suspect a cold solder joint at the motor was the cause.

I suggest a little effort to disassemble the mirror and resolder the joints might solve these issues.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts