Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please confirm that an 04 F-XT has a TD04L turbo and that any turbo with that demarcation, regardless of year or which vehicle it came off of, will be a direct bolt on replacement for my burnt one. I have a Subaru parts person saying that the 2.0L WRX TD04 is different than a 2.5L F-XT TD04. What is the scope here? Common sense would indicate that a TD04 is a TD04. My burnt turbo is marked 49377-04502 if that helps. The parts guy said that all of these numbers were just casting numbers and meaningless.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
^^I stand corrected! But that other turbo came from a JDM motor, not a US spec WRX. Pretty sure there's no difference between US WRX and US Forester TD04's.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The WRX TD04 has a stiffer wastegate spring than the Forester version. It supposely holds boost a tad better. Either version works fine on the XT without any other changes.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,160 Posts
The WRX TD04 has a stiffer wastegate spring than the Forester version. It supposely holds boost a tad better. Either version works fine on the XT without any other changes.
Oh yeah, now I remember that... And I should since the wastegate on my TD04 flutters like mad.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Could someone please confirm that an 04 F-XT has a TD04L turbo and that any turbo with that demarcation, regardless of year or which vehicle it came off of, will be a direct bolt on replacement for my burnt one. I have a Subaru parts person saying that the 2.0L WRX TD04 is different than a 2.5L F-XT TD04. What is the scope here? Common sense would indicate that a TD04 is a TD04. My burnt turbo is marked 49377-04502 if that helps. The parts guy said that all of these numbers were just casting numbers and meaningless.
Actually, these turbos are a bit more different than most people know. My experience is with 02/03 WRX TD04's and 04/05 FXT TD04's....

The wastegate actuator is stiffer on the 02/03 WRX's, and I believe that carries over onto the 04/05 WRX's. The 04-08 FXT's and 06-07 WRX's have the same WGA, which isn't as stiff.

Also, The compressor housing is just slightly different. There is a screw boss on the 02/03 compressor housing for the oil line that interferes with the oil line on the FXT. You can bend the line enough to get around it, but its a pita.

The compressor outlet comes out in a slightly different location. Its not a big enough difference that it doesn't fit, it just doesn't fit great.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like I need to go with the 49377-04502 identifier. The prefix is Mitsu for TD04L and the suffix is the a combination of factors including fan size etc. I'm just going to try and find an 04 FXT turbo to be safe. Anybody got one? I listed a WTB in the classified section but thought I'd advertise here too. Anything to avoid the $1100 OEM price tag.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
The 2.0L TD04 has a smaller wastegate apeture (same sized disc - at least one the ones I've seen) and can lead to boost creep when fitted to a 2.5.

As for the HL, despite what was posted in that thread, UK cars had the L, so I can only assume some swapping of compressor housings had already happened on that turbo mentioned.

Simon

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
Actually, these turbos are a bit more different than most people know. My experience is with 02/03 WRX TD04's and 04/05 FXT TD04's....

The wastegate actuator is stiffer on the 02/03 WRX's, and I believe that carries over onto the 04/05 WRX's. The 04-08 FXT's and 06-07 WRX's have the same WGA, which isn't as stiff.

Also, The compressor housing is just slightly different. There is a screw boss on the 02/03 compressor housing for the oil line that interferes with the oil line on the FXT. You can bend the line enough to get around it, but its a pita.

The compressor outlet comes out in a slightly different location. Its not a big enough difference that it doesn't fit, it just doesn't fit great.
Bumping an old thread because I have a question about this. I might want to replace my stock TD04 with a used one as opposed to forking over a ton of money on an Arashi, but I'd like to broaden my options a bit by heading over to NASIOC and hunting around.

This post makes it seem like it will be a true pain in the behind to use a TD04L-13T from a WRX.

Am I understanding this correctly? I can't understand what is going on without seeing all of this.

Others make it seem that swapping in that turbo from a WRX is cakewalk.

I am a bit confused with my options and what they entail.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
50 Posts
I just did this. I used an '02 WRX TD04 on my '04 Forester XT.

I did however re use the compressor cover from the FXT as the WRX is slightly shorter. I didn't test fit it prior to see how far off but as long as your cover is in ok shape it can be used on the WRX version.

FXT on left-WRX on right, notice the longer discharge on the FXT:

WRX cover:

FXT cover:

My FXT cover on WRX cartridge and compressor wheel:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
I just did this. I used an '02 WRX TD04 on my '04 Forester XT.

I did however re use the compressor cover from the FXT as the WRX is slightly shorter. I didn't test fit it prior to see how far off but as long as your cover is in ok shape it can be used on the WRX version.

FXT on left-WRX on right, notice the longer discharge on the FXT:

WRX cover:

FXT cover:

My FXT cover on WRX cartridge and compressor wheel:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

So basically all I have to do is swap the cover (which is in good shape) and I am set?

How do I swap the cover? Just want to make sure that I get it right because I have bad luck with this stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
50 Posts
I'll take pics when I get to work but basically there is a large snap ring on the back side of the cover that you need to remove. Spray a little lube around the ring and use snap ring pliers to squeeze. It is strong and usually stuck in the groove so use caution/have a friend handy with a small screwdriver to help pry it up. Carefully wiggle it off.

There is a pin that locates the cover in the correct clock position. Use more lube/grease on the rubber O-ring and very carefully position the cover onto the new cartridge (middle part of the turbo) lining up the pin with the hole. It should "pop" on, install the snap ring and check for any interference by turning the impeller with fingers. Should be no rubbing/noise.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts
I'll take pics when I get to work but basically there is a large snap ring on the back side of the cover that you need to remove. Spray a little lube around the ring and use snap ring pliers to squeeze. It is strong and usually stuck in the groove so use caution/have a friend handy with a small screwdriver to help pry it up. Carefully wiggle it off.

There is a pin that locates the cover in the correct clock position. Use more lube/grease on the rubber O-ring and very carefully position the cover onto the new cartridge (middle part of the turbo) lining up the pin with the hole. It should "pop" on, install the snap ring and check for any interference by turning the impeller with fingers. Should be no rubbing/noise.
Thanks, I have done this when taking apart my DSM cover before. A set of cheap worn out dollar store pliers did the same thing. At that point, I gave up and sent it off to a rebuilder. Big mistake, very leery of doing that again.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Automatic
289 Posts

Dude this is awesome.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
923 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester 2.5xt automatic
1 Posts
fxt turbo

Guys I was wondering if I put an sti turbo on a forester 2.5xt would I have to put new pistons or can I leave it stock

1 - 19 of 19 Posts