Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new XS power turbo back exhaust for 04-05 Subaru STi. Would this be a easy fit to my 05 Forester XT? & also do you think whats pictured here is worth 300 bucks. It also comes with gaskets and bolts that arent pictured.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
if you're buying all that brand new for 300 then the quality speaks for itself. does that means it's terrible and won't work? no, but i'm just pointing it out.

everything pictured should fit, you will just need 2 longer exhaust hangers for the muffler section.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its from a private seller he said that it has been sitting around in his garage for long time & he wasnt able to use it so now he just wants to get rid of it. So was wondering if it was worth it

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Is that a real cat, or just a dummy one? $300 catted turbo-back is a steal, IMO. And, there is an uppipe in there too -- wow.

Stan

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
First bump is a flex, second is either a cheap cat (unlikely) or a resonator.

As mentioned previously, price is good, and it'll come out a touch short and need longer hangers. But for the price can't be beat.

I wouldn't recommend using the up-pipe though. That flex will fall apart and when it does, 1: you'll have to replace it which is more trouble than it's worth, 2: when it does fall apart, it'll chuck shrapnel into your turbo.

·
Registered
05 XT 5MT
308 Posts
From the picture it really doesn't look like a bellmouth. If its just got a blockoff plate then the dp isn't worth anything and would pretty much be the same as a catback.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So would yall say its worth buying at least to use the muffler & mid sections? Sorry im kinda big noob in dealing with Turbo cars, first time owning one.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Can you get more pictures of the downpipe? Like of the part where it bolts up to the turbo?

It all depends what you are after. If that downpipe will be a good enough upgrade over the stocker, that is good. If that catback is 3", you'll have a full 3" turboback for $300, which is very cheap. It'll probably be loud, may fit weird (may not) and some welds may crack (again, may not), but you'll have a $300 3" turboback -- not many Subaru owners can say that.

Alternatively, you could get a used known-brand catted downpipe for $300 and bolt it up to the rest of your stock exhaust. You'll still make Stage 2 power, and it will be quieter. You may not make as much peak power as with the 3" exhaust, but you'll still be at Stage 2 and it will be very quiet.

Both of the choices above will need tuning.

If you decide just to use the catback (midpipe and muffler), if they are 3", you'll need an adapter to hook it up to your stock 2.5" downpipe.

Your choice, either choice is fine. Only way you can go wrong either way is if parts are bad -- then you are out $300.

Stan

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
If you're just going to use the catback, you could find something better for 300, there are a few ebay catbacks that are pretty decent.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I went ahead & bought it cause I talked the guy down to giving it to me for 220 bucks cause he really wanted it gone & I took it to a local muffler shop & the guy their said he didnt think it would fit....cause the bends are all wrong he says. Is he just not looking at it right or is this not something that will fit my FXT?

If yall need extra pictures of it I can take some & upload it . But thanks for the help if yall can provide info. All the things ive looked up seems to point to that this setup should be dooable Im guess the guy maybe just wasnt smart on turbo cars & didnt wanna screw with it.. Im thinkin about trying to do it myself this weekend & make my own hangers for & maybe a metal deal to keep the bumper from gettin to hot.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
if the exhaust is for a sti, then it will fit no problem.

Is it a TurboXS exhaust ? If so, you got a great deal...

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
It's not a TurboXS exhaust. The guy may have sold it because it didn't fit.
Don't have the muffler shop do anyhing yet, get your car up on ramps and check it out on your own if you can. It's all pretty straight forward, you can even bolt the 3" catback to your stock downpipe for a test fit. Just don't change the downpipe yet because you'll need tuning changes to support it.

Stan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts