Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got into a 05 FXT and am looking into getting a tow hitch for it to pull my jet ski and other toys. I was wondering what others with the same body style have used and how it has worked out (pics would be a +). Also if the hitch went above the muffler or below it (would prefer above, looks way better).

Also, I have the tow hitch from my 03 WRX and it seems to be very similar. However, the other day when I went to install it, the hitch was about 2" short (it would hit the bumper and parts for the under body) but all of the mounting holes lined up perfectly. My original idea was to make some spacers but that would then lower the muffler which makes me nervous about it scraping.

Let me know you guys have done and what has worked.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
I have an '04 with the OEM hitch. Dealer installed. It cost more, but I didn't have to worry about any of the issues with space or clearing the muffler. This issue has been addressed quite a bit, might want to try the search feature in this part of the forum.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
744 Posts
I just picked up a 2004 FXT 5mt today, in fact it looks exactly like yours, java black pearl. I have a tow hitch setup on it.

I'll have a look and see what brand it is, and I'll post pics.
I had a drawtight on my 2004 XS (4eat), and it was a VERY nice piece of hardware. Very sturdy. I towed a very utility trailer full of furniture etc for 3 hours without an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts