Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all:

Noticed a strange thing recently on my 03X. I seem to not be able to shut the interior heat off all the way.........even when the outside temps are in the 60s, the air coming thru the dash and floor vents seems warm....not hot, mind you, I can do that by turning the knob all the way clockwise to get real heat but just not cool, ambient air from outside.

It's weird. I had my car given its 125K mile service last year at the local Subaru dealer incl. antifreeze and related cooling system service BUT I'm wondering if it could be the heater control valve? The AC works like a charm, pumping out cold air immediately but the air coming thru the vents just seems warmer than it should be. I've turned the temp knob all the way up and then down but still get the sense of warmer air.

The car runs as cool as it did when the car was new so I'm at a loss to figure out what may be going on.

Am I slowly going nuts or does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks, all of you!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....and to put my mind at ease after a "brainstorm" late last night, I just checked and the "recirc" button is definitely in the "off" position, ie., not lit!

Fresh air is, indeed, coming into the cabin. It just seems to be heated a bit.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there, Bobby:

Hmmm, that might have been the answer BUT the knob actually works. I can crank it up toward the "hot" end of the range and the temp goes up quickly as would be normal.

It's been very cloudy today and the temps are 70°....just got back from running home and the temps coming out of the vents seem about right so I'mnot sure if I'm imagining this or not. Naturally, I felt the warmer air on days when the car was outside in the sun so perhaps it's all imagination........the plenum may be getting warm in the sun so air entering is being artificially heated by the warmth of the exterior.......

Hint: don't get older than you are now.........your imagination starts playing tricks on you......I think.

Thanks, man!

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay:

I MAY have imagined it or the interior was just warmer than I thought. It's semi cloudy, humid and raining today and as soon as the engine came up to temperature, the air coming thru the vents was approx. the same as outside air felt so I think I may have fooled myself more than anything else.

Jeez, I'm starting to get weird as I age.........no likey!

Sorry for the apparently false alarm......

Steve

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,449 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow:

Great news, Bobby. I may have to find someone who has the factory manual post the pages that show this in detail.

I want to check this and see what is going on, if anything. Like I said before, today, it felt "okay" but something sure made the air coming into the cabin seem warmer than it normally is......

Thanks, man! HUGE help.........

I'll report what I find if anyone has the manual and is willing to post a jpeg or PDF!

Thanks so much,

Steve

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much, Bobby!!!!

What a great help......now, I know what I'll be seeing before I crack the interior trim open.

Thanks, man!

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts