Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I've just got my hands on some used 03STi springs/struts to put into my 04XT. They have less than 15k(supposedly).

These are the dreaded 'clunk' series - question is, do I regrease before i install them?
And if so, what's the recommended grease or doesn't it matter?

Also, I have a whiletline 22mm adj RSB fitted with HD forester mounts - are these gonna work with the much lower sti gear? Do I need wrx mounts?

Cheers
squeaky weelz

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
Are you 100% sure the 03 sti suspension fits on an 04 Forester? I thought only 04 would fit. Anyways, if you're sure it fits, then.....

REGREASE!! I just regreased mine. The stuff in there looks and feels like wax (gross). It's actually easy to do. The guys at the parts store thought I was an alien when I told them I was regreasing struts. So I just bought the nicest stuff they had ($5 a tube), but I think anything is better than what's in there from the factory.

Just be darn sure you use liquid wrench on the bottom strut bolt and make sure you have the tab lined up with the notch before you start turning that bolt. I stripped it out on two of mine (had to cut the nut off, re-tab threads, and get new nuts). Not fun. Here's a good link to describe it:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/sti-rear-strut-clunk-fixed-yeah-38649/

You'll see what I mean by the "notch" when you see the pics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts