Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This member journal will hopefully be refined over the course of time, but as of right now I am just going to start with the basics. I received a 2008 2.5x, and at the time was just getting into the car world. Before I did all of my mods it looked like this:

Just the completely standard model, not the L.L. Bean or anything, except the previous owner used wood screws to put in mudflaps, to which I can't say was awesome later down the road. But feel free to look at my posts, and eventually I will make a table of contents or some other kind of organizer to help those who stop by!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, the first mod I did to this car was the stereo. My dad has a 2019 F150, and after seeing him use android auto I immediately knew I wanted a touchscreen stereo, and especially since the stock stereo didn't even have an AUX port, I figured it would be a good choice to do this first. I ended up going with the boss audio bvcp9685a, as it has android auto, a touchscreen, preamp outputs and was relatively cheap. So I went from this:

To this:
So far ( I'd say about 11 months) it's holding up well, my only complaint being that it is sometimes slow and freezes up for maybe 2 seconds, but I'm ok with it.​

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next thing I did with my forester was the wheels. It was time I need new tires and I just had the stock steelies on at the time. So I glanced at facebook marketplace and found almost right away someone nearby was selling 2010 wrx wheels! I contacted him and now they are on the forester!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After installing those wheels, I started to go back to my audio system again, I just wasn't satisfied with the audio quality, as subaru's stock speakers weren't the greatest in quality. I got an upgrade of the front and rear speakers, with the rear going from 4.5 inches to 5.25 inches, and the front speakers staying the same 6.5 inches. These are the maximum size the 2006 to 2008 foresters can have without the windows interfering. I do not have pictures of these speakers, but below are the links of them.
Front speakers
Rear speakers

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,753 Posts
@03Bee one thing you might consider is the factory/OEM door tweeter upgrade kit, if you don't have it. It's a simple "plug & play" installation. It adds a lot to the sound system, to where we never upgraded the speakers in either of our Foresters. We did install a Kenwood powered subwoofer under the passenger seat for additioned bass.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@2.5x_sleeper Yes, I saw that on your member journal and I could not find some to save my life! Even on subaruparts.com, I believe I saw they are discontinued for some odd reason. Or if I did see them, they were for a later year, I can't remember. The part number is H630SSA100.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought that would be the end of my speaker journey, but my stereo wasn't giving them enough power to generate the lower frequencies. I ended up buying a 520 watt amplifier. This is where my stereo's preamp outputs came in handy, as the wiring kit I bought for the amp was plug in play without any issues. I mounted my amplifier under my passenger seat, and routed the wiring through the trim pieces in the center. This fixed the issue the best it can, as I can hear the bass now, but I suspect since the speakers are coaxial that they cannot produce as much bass, which explains why they are sometimes used more often with a subwoofer in place. Maybe I will do that, but not in the near future.

·
Administrator
38,753 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper Yes, I saw that on your member journal and I could not find some to save my life! Even on subaruparts.com, I believe I saw they are discontinued for some odd reason. Or if I did see them, they were for a later year, I can't remember. The part number is H630SSA100.
Yes, they've been discontinued for awhile now. I've seen them for sale here on the forum, as well as on eBay, used of course.

You could try here: Car-Part.com

Bobby...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Administrator
38,753 Posts
That definetly seems like an area to look, but that's for later I guess, since my speakers are coaxials anyways.
The advantage of the door mounted tweeter is that they're up high & closer to your ears.

@2.5x_sleeper Did you see this thread? My plan is to do this much later down the road.
Yes, I remember when @sea-scooby was selling subwoofer & speaker kits here on the forum.

My '07 FSXT came with the premium sound upgrade, so it had the rear, cargo mounted subwoofer. Pretty much worthless as they come from the factory & I prefer them located upfront, where you don't have to crank them up to get the bass.

Bobby...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The next thing I did to my car is probably the most noticeable part of my project. I ordered TCP Global's custom coats bedliner. It was a big decision on the color, and I finally came to the decision that WWII olive drab federal would be my color (very specific, I know, but there were many variations of olive). To prepare for this, I had to do a lot. It was no easy task and for it to be done correctly without the bedliner falling off the car would need to stay clean. So first thing I did was use tape and plastic around my wheels and start to literally take apart my car, shown below:

This also required me to remove my bumper to remove the headlights and grille, but this was actually better for me, as it made covering the engine bay and other areas with plastic much easier. I also used various types of automotive tape, but I found painter's tape worked much better and was easier to clean up in the end. I also made sure to take off all of the door panels and cover those up with plastic on the area that would be later covered up by the trim, shown below with the taillight removal picture:

And finally, the removal of the bumper and the rear hatch piece that holds the emblem:

After taking everything off and taping it, I sanded the entire car. I believe I used 320 grit for the majority of the car, and then switched to 180 for areas that were harder to get to, such as the gas panel and such. I had a very small area of rust on my rear left fender. This was where I had to do some rust work and grind it off, and do some other work to make sure it would not come back (for a long time, at least). As shown in some of these pictures, I found some olive green primer at a store and used this on the edges. This would help the paint bond and protect any areas that I may have accidentally sanded too much, which was an issue. It is certainly important to us the right grit sandpaper, because without it, you can accidentally take off too much and leave you quarter panel as bare metal and that's no good. After sanding the whole car I used degreaser and other cleaners to clean everything. This is probably one of the most important parts as if you miss a spot, the bedliner will not bond and will instead bubble and "rot" off while driving. With all of this done, I got out the bedliner spray gun, and put it to about 50 PSI. I used about 12 bottles of the bedliner for my whole car, which equates to about 3 gallons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How do you like the Boss stereo? As far as cheap stereos go i've had much much worse, seems like they at least try to make a useful product.
@NinoS It works pretty well for how much it was, and gets the job done. However it is not very bright and has its amount of glare with the sun. So out of 10, I'd probably say a 7 due to the brightness issue which kind of prevents me to use it safely while driving, though sunglasses seems to be my solution to it as of right now...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's some pictures of the finished painting. I also painted the grill and emblem rings with black bedliner:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
While I had the bumper and the headlights off from painting, I decided to do some research to see if I could install projectors. I came across this thread and knew that I had to do what he did. I also looked at this guy for some extra help, as he explains things well. So after dismounting the headlights from my car I used the baking method for 7 minutes at 225 degrees fahrenheit to pry them apart. I used towels instead of a screwdriver or my hands, partly because the headlights were hot, and because I did not want to risk damaging them. After getting them FULLY apart I sanded the low beams reflector bowl and everything else that was chrome except for the high beams, those would still be as stock so I need the chrome on there still. Then I taped over the high beams and painted the parts with matte black spray paint. Once it dried the next day I followed the thread's instructions and made the headlights! I kept the brow chrome because I like it that way. Below are my "headlights in action":
First picture is the headlight being tested to make sure they are aligned. If you ever try this, always make sure they are aligned before moving on, as this was a huge pain to take off my headlight one day after discovering it was too low and too far to the left.

Here are my low beams:

And here is my blinker:

I also had to replace my fog lights; they were cracked and broken and since I had the bumper off I figured I should fix them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My emblems were faded and boring. So I found a website called Orsini Vinyl & Designs, where a guy in California makes vinyl overlays, and lots of them specifically for subaru. So I ordered these mountain ones, and about two weeks later they came!
Probably one of my favorite things I put on, it kind of completes the look:
1598305514387.png

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
924 Posts
@NinoS It works pretty well for how much it was, and gets the job done. However it is not very bright and has its amount of glare with the sun. So out of 10, I'd probably say a 7 due to the brightness issue which kind of prevents me to use it safely while driving, though sunglasses seems to be my solution to it as of right now...
Good point I had forgotten about the brightness since I have not used the car much lately. I used to put on DVDs for my daughter to watch on long trips and if the sun was shining at all on the screen it was hard to see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After glancing at facebook marketplace, I saw someone was selling some rally armor mudflaps for only 40 dollars. I instantly knew I had to take advantage of that, as new ones costed $140. So I met up with him and ended up with these for my forester:

The owner before my family in 2008 had put on aftermarket mudflaps, but he used wood screws to mount them in straight into the trim, and they were not very good quality. I was lucky enough that the mess he leftover from those screws did not break the plastic or cause any cracks, but I ended up having to cut the screws in half to take off the old mudflaps, which were as hard as a rock. The news ones are very nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts