Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been offered a set of 03 WRX struts and springs with 70K on them for $100.

Will this even fit on an 04 XT?

I was gonna do Swift springs on stock struts eventually but thought this might be a cheap alternative for the time being. If it fits. Any thoughts and advise welcome.

Thanx

Adam

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Do they include tophats? If so, they wil lbolt right up to your car. The only issue is that sWRX sedan stuff will give you a saggy rear end look. You want WRX wagon springs in the back to even it out.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx, I knew somebody would have a quick answer on that.

They do come with tophats, and I could tolerate the saggy pants in the rear since I'd like to do the swifts in the end anyway. Or I might find a cheap set of wagon springs somewhere to even it out.

It just sounded like a cheap "better than stock" alternative to tide me over a while.

Thanx again.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
With 70K on them, I'd pass. Get something with LOW mileage or new. Not worth swapping if it's only going to be for a short period. The dampers are probably pretty close to the end of their useful life.

·
Registered
271 Posts
No offense, but from your join date, I don't know if you are aware that this set will drop you a significant amount lower. I just want to make sure you are aware of the pros and cons of this mod. Do more reading on this. Many people including me have tried different combinations of suspensions. I will be on my 6th.

1. OEM - yuk
2. Apexi N1 c/o with 8f/6r - nice street track compromise - expensive - needs frequent maintenance (cleaning bare shafts to prevent stiction)
3. Apexi N1 c/o with 10f/8r - track only - tried to live with it on the streets, but gave up after about 6 months
4. WRX struts w/ Koni inserts w/ 05 STI springs - a little bouncy - quite, reliable
5. WRX struts w/ Koni inserts w/ 07 STI springs - much better, maybe a little soft

I will be installing Swift Spec-R springs on rear fxt struts (thanks Silke) soon. Not sure what to do with fronts yet.

This does not include wheel/tire combos.

So you see, be afraid - lol

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No offense, but from your join date, I don't know if you are aware that this set will drop you a significant amount lower. I just want to make sure you are aware of the pros and cons of this mod. Do more reading on this. Many people including me have tried different combinations of suspensions. I will be on my 6th.

So you see, be afraid - lol
No offense taken. And I AM afaid. I'm what you'd call a "hyper researcher." I've read just about every sticky on the forum but can't regurgitate that much info from memory (hence my initial question).

My car may only see one or two track days/year so it has to be VERY street friendly. That's why I thought Swift springs on stock struts might work well. This was a cheap, "in the mean time" thing (I have to get my stuts off to put swifts on anyway) that I think I'm gonna pass on unless he drops the price.

Thanx to all for the input. And as stated, I'm always up for suggestions/advise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts