Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on replacing my rear wheel bearing. I picked up the bearing kit from harbor freight and have everything torn down right now. I attached some pictures to show where I am at.

I have been following the write-up from endwrench and it is telling me to remove a snap ring and the inside seal, however I don't see a snapring and im having trouble geting the seal to come out. Any help is greatly appreciated, so far it has been goign pretty smoothly and I am trying to take it slow so I don't ruin anything.

I uploaded my pictures to photobucket but it says im not allowed to post pictures until i have 15 posts, is there anyway around this or do I just have to post a few more times!!

Thanks, Jason

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
You can post the links, the forum just wont hot link them.

If you want PM me the links and I will post them up for you

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it says you are not allowed to post urls until you have 15 posts, I sent you a PM with the IMG tags...Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I have not done Subaru wheel bearings but I believe the snap ring is behind the oil seal. Pull the oil seal out and it should be right there.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
This is totally unrelated but your parking brake is different than my parking brake and I also drive an '03. Weird. In any case, I'll be following this thread closely since my RR wheel bearing is also bad and needs replacing. Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers.

Mark

·
Administrator
16,392 Posts
When mine was done in a Subie workshop they had to take the whole hub out, heat it and put it in a press to get the old bearing out. :icon_eek:

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
I read somewhere on another Forum that Subaru bearings are pressed in and out, it could very well have been this Forum, here ya go ............ see FunkyMonkey's post at #14 in this thread.

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not done Subaru wheel bearings but I believe the snap ring is behind the oil seal. Pull the oil seal out and it should be right there.
I think you are correct about the snap ring, but I was able to get a pretty good look in there and feel around and didn't see anything. I will be able to get a better look once i get the oil seal out, which is causing me some problems.. I have an adapter that hooks up to my slide hammer which appears to be a seal puller but it hasn't work. I might need to get a special tool...

Thanks again for posting those pics..

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is totally unrelated but your parking brake is different than my parking brake and I also drive an '03. Weird. In any case, I'll be following this thread closely since my RR wheel bearing is also bad and needs replacing. Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers.

Mark
Do you have disc brakes in the back?? Im guessing that is the difference b/c I only have drums....

So far it hasn't been too bad of a job, you have to take off the axle nut, and the lateral link bolt in the back that connects the links and pull the cv shaft out....and then I used a slide hammer to pull the hub assembly out..

Now I need to push the seals and bearings out and i've never done this part so I want to make sure I get it right.... I'll try to post some more pics of the progress!

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Just pry the seals out with a screwdriver,your replacing them so don't have to worry about screwing them up.

Just did all my wheel bearings not long ago.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/wheel-bearing-change-57703/

Had to pull the knuckles off and press bearings out at work.
Two of them were so stuck that I had to stitch a bead of weld inside the race to get them to come out with the press(old trick).

Supposed to be able to do them on the car but.................

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When mine was done in a Subie workshop they had to take the whole hub out, heat it and put it in a press to get the old bearing out. :icon_eek:
im hoping the tool I got will do the job of the press, I have a similar thing that I do U-joints with for my jeep and it works very well, its a pretty similar concept..

I read somewhere on another Forum that Subaru bearings are pressed in and out...[/URL]

Yes they are, I got the same kit that is pictured in post #2 of that thread... im just not sure how to use it yet!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I read somewhere on another Forum that Subaru bearings are pressed in and out, it could very well have been this Forum, here ya go ............ see FunkyMonkey's post at #14 in this thread.
They are press in, but you can do them on a car with a hubshark type tool rather than pulling the whole thing off and doing it with a press.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
The seals aren't in that tight. I used a large screwdriver and pried several times and it "popped" out. You put the screwdriver inside the seal and it lays across the hole and you push the handle on the opposite side.

It is important to use a seal driver or large socket to install the new seals square with equal pressure instead of just using a hammer.

I believe you can put the backing plate bolts back in since you are using the hub shark kit.

My '04 has separate dust and oil seals on the inside and one normal oil seal on the outside. It looks like yours just has an oil seal on each side that should go in the "normal" way with the spring on the inside. edit: Maybe it does have 2 seals on the inside; it's hard to tell from the photo. Just be careful removing and put any new seals in the same way they came out.

Once the seals are out you can see if there is a snap ring there or not. I don't remember my '04 having a ring, (but I have slept since then). Then, you can arrange the spacers and bolt from the kit to push out the bearing. I believe it pushes out toward the inside.

You use a large tube piece bigger than the OD of the bearing on one side and a tube on the inner race on the other side to push it out as the bolt is tightened.

When reinstalling, it is VERY important to only apply pressure to the bearing housing and not the races or bearings themselves. I think this is what sometimes happens when people don't get the life they expect on a new bearing. Of course if a problem is severe then a hub could be damaged too, but most people catch it in time unless you run the radio loud all the time and never listen to the car.

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The seals aren't in that tight. I used a large screwdriver and pried several times and it "popped" out. You put the screwdriver inside the seal and it lays across the hole and you push the handle on the opposite side.

It is important to use a seal driver or large socket to install the new seals square with equal pressure instead of just using a hammer.

I believe you can put the backing plate bolts back in since you are using the hub shark kit.

My '04 has separate dust and oil seals on the inside and one normal oil seal on the outside. It looks like yours just has an oil seal on each side that should go in the "normal" way with the spring on the inside. edit: Maybe it does have 2 seals on the inside; it's hard to tell from the photo. Just be careful removing and put any new seals in the same way they came out.

Once the seals are out you can see if there is a snap ring there or not. I don't remember my '04 having a ring, (but I have slept since then). Then, you can arrange the spacers and bolt from the kit to push out the bearing. I believe it pushes out toward the inside.

You use a large tube piece bigger than the OD of the bearing on one side and a tube on the inner race on the other side to push it out as the bolt is tightened.

When reinstalling, it is VERY important to only apply pressure to the bearing housing and not the races or bearings themselves. I think this is what sometimes happens when people don't get the life they expect on a new bearing. Of course if a problem is severe then a hub could be damaged too, but most people catch it in time unless you run the radio loud all the time and never listen to the car.
There is a dust seal and an oil seal on the inside, when I was trying to pry them out the inside oil seal actually came out and the outside seal stayed there... I will try to get the outside one out tonight and report back. My bearings wont be in until tomorrow night so I am going to try to get the old stuff out tonight and then press the new ones in tomorrow and reassembly everything.

I shouldn't have taken the backing plate bolts out, but I was trying to get a better look and tried that approach, it didn't work..

Everything else sounds good and I appreciate the comments, I will report back tonight with how disassembly went...

·
Premium Member
2002 Forester EJ25 4EAT 2011 Forester FB25 4EAT 2021 Forester FB25 CVT
39 Posts
Remove the outer seal (the one that seals against the hub) and you will see the snap ring. Remove the snap ring and press the bearing out toward the outside (toward the hub) NOT the inside. Be sure to support the inner bearing race when installing the hub into the bearing during assembly.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts