Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, i thought now I've pretty much finished all the mods to my forester I'd post some pics up.

So it's a 2003 Forester, Silver, non turbo :-(

Has a bull bar - For increased approach angle/protection
Sumpguard - Protection
Snorkel of a 100 series cruiser, i bodged this up myself, but it fits sweet as and works well.
Cooper ATR's 29"
Lightforce 240 XGT's - They're bright
2 floodlights on the roof racks
2" liftkit All round
1inch spring lift and 30% stiffer on the rear for better load carrying
Both front and rear sway bars removed
Onboard Air compressor and power inverter.
UHF Uniden 15sx i think
Roof top tent
Roof basket
Waeco 50 litre fridge

this is the list so far. In the future i may Put a lower range gear set in it and possibly an LSD in the front to match the back.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.0 N/A
73 Posts
That's great job mate!
I envy the subaxtreme front bumper, but too expensive to get it here in Europe.
If I may, just a few extra ideas:
It would be safer to get one of these OEM rear diff guards.
If you really miss you swaybars you can get 4 KLC39s swaybar end links from Whiteline . They are length adjustable and they do a good job allowing you wheels to travel and the at the same time keeping you from exes body roll.
I kept mine and I have 150mm travel front and rear.
The Cusco front diff is great at least for the European version (like mine) which is with 2.0 lt engine and dual range central transfer with a central and rear LSD. As I said to a previous thread it really adds value to the off road capability of the vehicle. However you have to adapt the on road driving since the car becomes completely neutral so less fun!
What about the snorkel? Did you connect it to the engine? How it sounds when full throttle?
Cheers
dennis
PS by the way my fozy is exactly the same color as yours MY 2003 July MT, now it has 100.000 Km and probably it will become a lifer.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
Holy sh*t that things great.

You must be a man with a bottomless wallet though.:biggrin:

It just needs some subaru decals all over it now.

·
Registered
03 Forester
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work there mate!
Pretty much how I'm planning to kit my 01 Fozzy out...including the Strongbow on the bonnet ;)
heheh, i guess it should be in the fridge in the back, lol :Banane35:

all up i think it cost me about 5k to do the lot, and i got the car for 15k apart from the fridge and rooftop tent and that. still cheaper than a 100 series, and much cheaper to run

·
Registered
03 Forester
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great job mate!
I envy the subaxtreme front bumper, but too expensive to get it here in Europe.
If I may, just a few extra ideas:
It would be safer to get one of these OEM rear diff guards.
If you really miss you swaybars you can get 4 KLC39s swaybar end links from Whiteline . They are length adjustable and they do a good job allowing you wheels to travel and the at the same time keeping you from exes body roll.
I kept mine and I have 150mm travel front and rear.
The Cusco front diff is great at least for the European version (like mine) which is with 2.0 lt engine and dual range central transfer with a central and rear LSD. As I said to a previous thread it really adds value to the off road capability of the vehicle. However you have to adapt the on road driving since the car becomes completely neutral so less fun!
What about the snorkel? Did you connect it to the engine? How it sounds when full throttle?
Cheers
dennis
PS by the way my fozy is exactly the same color as yours MY 2003 July MT, now it has 100.000 Km and probably it will become a lifer.
i didn't realize there was an OEM rea diff guard, sound like a good idea tho.

i was thinking of throwing a big alloy sheet under the whole thing oneday, then it'd just skidd over ruts

yeh i got the snorkel hooked up, it's a little loud when you plant it, but not noticeable the rest of the time.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.0 N/A
73 Posts
springs

Ben
Did you replace all four springs with 30% stiffer and 1" higher or just in the rear;
The springs are from Kings?
I know Kevin has all the springs from Kings but it is my understanding that the front are downrated to +1 cm instead of +3. Kings require 90AUD for downrating. I am not sure what's the reason for downrating, since Kevin's car measures the same amount of lift front and rear. So if not dwonrated the kings would make the car's front taller than the rear?

I don't lnow if Kevin could give us a clue on that?

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
894 Posts
Awesome subaru! Now, where did you get that CB?! I've been looking for that all over. I want to get that to downsize the one I have (regular truckers one).

·
Registered
1998 Forester
31 Posts
I have a '95 Land Cruiser and a '98 Forester. I've considered doing some mods to the Suby to make it more off-roadable, (26MPG vs. 14MPG is a big incentive.) but not seriously. Do you have any pics of you in situations you felt were pushing your limits? I'd like to see how they really do when set up and used as you intend. I'm in Utah and we have some decent off-road opportunities around here. :)

Have you had any problems with engine cooling? Those lights block a lot of the front cooling area, and your skid plate underneath looks like it keeps all the hot air in the engine compartment. A cool engine is a happy engine. Hate to see you run hot temps and shorten your engine life.

Nice work on the mods, by the way. Very tasteful, and it looks like it will serve well as a long distance cruiser. I'd like more info about your CB install.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5 X Prem 5MT
465 Posts
Nice wheels! They look great. I just bout a set of the "steelies" myself that I want to paint black and mount some off-road tires on. What method did you use to paint them? Please share anything you learned from the experience.

THanks! :Banane35:

·
Registered
03 Forester
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
where did you get that CB?

i got it from dick smith in aussie, i reckon they'd post it, it was $400 AUD, the main unit sits in the glove box

·
Registered
03 Forester
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice wheels! They look great. I just bout a set of the "steelies" myself that I want to paint black and mount some off-road tires on. What method did you use to paint them? Please share anything you learned from the experience.

THanks! :Banane35:
to prep them, i hit them with the high preasure cleaner, then some degreaser, then the cleaner again, dried them (went for a drive) took them off, masked the tires a bit. Make sure there is no dirt or dust on them. I didnt bother rubbing them back. primer them. I just did one wheel at a time an by the time i'd dont the 4th the 1st was dry. i did about 4 light coats. (1 can total). Then i had some dinner, and then did the same with the black. ( it was just a Motoguard brand acrylic) let them dry for 30 mins and put them back on and let them harden overnight. I didn't bother with a clear coat, but it may be a good idea?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts