Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with instructions on how to remove the interior auto dimming without map lights rearview mirror. The seal is gone and the liquid inside the mirror makes it difficult to use.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,866 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

The information you requested is attached below. The instructions are for installing the mirror, but it should give you the information needed to remove it. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear View mirror replacement

Thank you for the information.
I've ordered a replacement mirror and will attempt the replacement.

·
Registered
2002 S
2 Posts
rearview mirror replacement

Hi,
I happened on this thread. I just bought a used 2002 Forester and it has the auto dimming mirror. It may just not work well but it's far too dark for me. The very top is clear but the rest is dark brown and the car has tinted windows, making for poor visibility.

Am I right that the chemical in it is not working properly? I don't need a fancy mirror so I take it I can follow your instructions you posted to remove it. If so, is it easy to attach a normal mirror?

How much should one spend on a regular mirror?

Thanks,
Jane

·
Super Moderator
35,866 Posts
The earlier version of the autodimming mirror failed like that. The replacement is very easy. Unless a member has one for sale, you could get one new, or one from a auto wrecking yard. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1 Posts
Thanks for the help -- maybe Subaru should recall this mirror as a safety hazard

Hi. My mirror failed too, same problem. It' nearly impossible to see out of it during the daytime (Unless I can manage to squint while I'm driving or peer into that little clear patch at the top of the mirror). It doesn't seem safe, and it appears to be more than just a rare occurrence. I was leery of trying to fix it myself, but the guidance here makes it seem pretty simple. Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
2 Posts
You have to wonder if this mirror should have been recalled by Subaru. Seems to be quite a few failures based on number of threads online. There is a bladder within the mirroR housing that contains the auto-dimming chemical that when given an electrical current from the front and rear light sensors on the mirror, the chemical reacts and the mirror darkens to absorb reflections. These bladders are what are failing, giving the floating clear & frosty bubble at the top of the mirror that is viscous, making the mirror very distracting and unusable. Just spent $165 at Winchester Subaru for the part and $50 for installation. But this part is faulty, have never had a mirror fail before; seems that very hot temperatures in the 90's do them in. The OEM for 2003 is no longer available, probably because of failures, new part number is H501SSA101. Different design without the separate sensor box housing by mounting pad, sensor on back of mirror. LET'S DEMAND OUR MONEY BACK!

·
Registered
2003 Forester
117 Posts
Holy crap i stumbled upon this thread looking for a new mirror. I was about to take a picture of my mirror and post to see if any had any thing like this happen to them. I guess it's the boiling summer this year in the East that's caused this meltdown. The giant blob of goopy translucence on the mirror is ruining my driving experience. I guess it's of no value now right? Could the manufacturer issue a new one for a discount if i send them the old one back? :)

Anyone up for a group buy?!!

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
21 Posts
I want to add my name to the list of failed '03 mirrors. At first the liquid looked oily then disappeared altogether which left me with a normal mirror that had no dimming functionality. Now, because of the heart I assume, the top of the mirror has a second layer of liquid that is bleeding down that is leaving what looks like a simply mirror with no light protection (like a normal mirror).

I need to replace my windshield, so I think it's time to find a replacement (H501SSA101) for more money than I will want to spend.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
293 Posts
Unnecessary use of "Quote"

Amazon.com: CIPA 36300 Wedge Base Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Map Light: Automotive
Price: $158.93 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $52.48 (25%)

From my email to CIPA-USA
Hello zzyzzx: Our 36300 is a plug & play.
Thank you for your business.
Theresa F. Curtiss
Customer Service
CIPA USA
800-872-2472, Ext. 220
CIPA-USA - Your one-stop source for mirrors and aftermarket accessories

I had asked them which one to buy as a replacement on a 2002 Forester.

Presumably, if you onlt wanted the auto dimming feature, you could use the cheaper 36100, which Amazon sells for
Amazon.com: CIPA 36100 Wedge Base Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror: Automotive
Price: $78.55 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $29.33 (27%)

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
23 Posts
The mirror on my 02 Forester is the same way. Going to the junk yard tomorrow to see if I can find one. If it's too expensive, I'm going to use the instructions from this thread to remove it, then I'm going to buy a normal one from the Walmart.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
1,587 Posts
Amazon.com: CIPA 36300 Wedge Base Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Map Light: Automotive
Price: $158.93 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $52.48 (25%)

From my email to CIPA-USA
Hello zzyzzx: Our 36300 is a plug & play.
Thank you for your business.
Theresa F. Curtiss
Customer Service
CIPA USA
800-872-2472, Ext. 220
CIPA-USA - Your one-stop source for mirrors and aftermarket accessories

I had asked them which one to buy as a replacement on a 2002 Forester.

Presumably, if you onlt wanted the auto dimming feature, you could use the cheaper 36100, which Amazon sells for
Amazon.com: CIPA 36100 Wedge Base Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror: Automotive
Price: $78.55 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $29.33 (27%)
So either of these are plug and play for our Foresters ? Mine has that dreaded dark blob.
thanks

·
Registered
2002 Outback legacy automatic
1 Posts
2002 Outback Mirror Failure

My mirror failed last year and I have just put up with the inconvenience but in the 110 temps it fell off the windshield so I thought I would replace it. After reading this string, I'm not sure if I should.

I noticed after I unplugged the mirror the side mirror adjuster and defrosters no longer work. Are they wired in a loop with the mirror? If so will I have to buy the expensive replacement mirror to get the adjuster and defrosters to work again or can I bypass the mirror somehow?

I have not checked fuses to see if that is the problem with the adjuster and defroster.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
5 Posts
2001 Forester -- mirror failed about 2 years ago along with driver's side seatbelt (shredding). Car at dealer as I write replacing the warranted seatbelt, and waiting for an estimate on the mirror. If it turns out to be an ridiculous amount of $$ (which it probably will), I'll ask my regular mechanic -- who, by the way, knew Subaru would replace the seatbelt free of charge (thank you Jason!).

Hello Subaru?? Review mirror not a safety issue?

Love my Subaru -- runs like a top!:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
35,866 Posts
The earlier auto dimming mirror were know to fail. The ones I installed in both our Foresters work perfectly.

You can revert back to a standard mirror. Many members have those hoarded in the "might need" parts box, so place a WTB ad in the Member Classifieds. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited CVT
523 Posts
The seatbelt is covered by warranty because of federal law. Legally, you do not need a rearview mirror if you have both door mirrors. Think of big rigs, box trucks and cargo vans, for example.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS
1 Posts
Auto-dimming compass Rear-view mirror for '03 Forester

I came across this thread in my search to find a replacement mirror for the 03 Forester I just purchased. From what I can tell the mirror I have seems in better shape than most, it's just slightly discolored on the sides. However, I recognize the age of the vehicle and I'd like to replace it and a very nice gentleman named Gordon from Subarupartsplus.com gave me this information, so I thought I would pass it on to others, in case anyone thought they had to pay 300 on eBay to get a used mirror for their cars.

"Subaru offers two different rearview mirrors for the 2003 Forester. They have the auto dim mirror with compass, which is part number H501SFG200. They also have the auto dim mirror with compass and Homelink, which is part number H501SAG100. We offer both mirror types on our site."

I asked about the website not recognizing the part, mirror, to the particular year and model of my car for it to be compatible. Gordon replied with that it's probably a glitch with the website and that either mirror would work for my car. I was quite thankful to find out that a new mirror was cheaper than the original mirrors being sold/auctioned on eBay for $300+ used.

I hope this helps others in getting a safe and working and even new mirror for their Subarus!

·
Super Moderator
35,866 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts