Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks--

Our Subaru has 105k and the airbag light has arrived (though somewhat sporadic (?)). I dropped by the dealer and they claimed that the driver's seat module had 'very high resistance' and should be replaced, to the tune of $1100. I do most of the maintenance & repairs and have virtually no relationship with our Subaru dealer, though (surprisingly) can't claim anything bad. If it was my car, I'd probably be much less worried; however, it's my wife's car...so...

I've checked all the connections and everything appears to be solid as per the plethora of posts about connections under the seat, etc.

Does anybody know anything additional / or perhaps specific to the 2003 models that I may check?

--Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
My 1998 had an airbag warning light for awhile..finally went to dealer and was diagnosed as as bad clockspring, which essentially is the mechanism that allows the wiring and circuitry to be fed thru the steering column and still be protected from the movement of the steering wheel. Once replaced (about $400 if I remember) light and airbag issue was fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info...let's see.

We bought the car brand-spankin' new in 2003 and it was completely solid through 80k, when the HG blew. They were replaced (including timing belt, etc.) and we were set...for 9 months. Then, repeat. Apparently they had some 'minor' problems and it was replaced (again) at 90k. We had a 100k warranty so I wasn't happy, but I wasn't out $4k, so life wasn't too bad. Anyway, I do the maintenance myself, it's never been wrecked, no other problems. And then...

I drove the car for about a year and the SRS light would come on from time to time, but mostly stopped after the winter (Wichita, Kansas winters are usually pretty cold, windy, icey, etc.). After it stopped and warmed up, my wife took over the vehicle again and no SRS light.

Yes, I always adjust the driver's seat when I get in.

So, the SRS has now been on for a few months. I took it in to the dealer and they say the resistance is 'notably higher' on the drivers seat airbag; I didn't receive any error codes (but will call back and ask).

So, here we are. As a side note, I found a TSB for MY03, 17-07-04. I have a call into the dealer to see their thoughts, but my experience is that people don't typically like to hear 'suggestions.' So, we'll see if anything comes from it...

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
More info...let's see.

We bought the car brand-spankin' new in 2003 and it was completely solid through 80k, when the HG blew. They were replaced (including timing belt, etc.) and we were set...for 9 months. Then, repeat. Apparently they had some 'minor' problems and it was replaced (again) at 90k. We had a 100k warranty so I wasn't happy, but I wasn't out $4k, so life wasn't too bad. Anyway, I do the maintenance myself, it's never been wrecked, no other problems. And then...

I drove the car for about a year and the SRS light would come on from time to time, but mostly stopped after the winter (Wichita, Kansas winters are usually pretty cold, windy, icey, etc.). After it stopped and warmed up, my wife took over the vehicle again and no SRS light.

Yes, I always adjust the driver's seat when I get in.

So, the SRS has now been on for a few months. I took it in to the dealer and they say the resistance is 'notably higher' on the drivers seat airbag; I didn't receive any error codes (but will call back and ask).

So, here we are. As a side note, I found a TSB for MY03, 17-07-04. I have a call into the dealer to see their thoughts, but my experience is that people don't typically like to hear 'suggestions.' So, we'll see if anything comes from it...
Haha, sorry I should have been more specific and just asked for your location. I wasn't sure if this was a USDM or from another country.

So when you say "airbag module" you're talking about the side-airbag in the driver seat? When I see module I think of the communication boxes in the front.

Have you ever removed/installed the driver side seat?

What is the TSB 17-07-04 for? I can't seem to find it.

Edit: Nevermind, found it http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/side-airbag-trouble-code-03-4110.html

I wouldn't call that a "suggestion". That is a very serious TSB. Definitely follow through with that. Your car fits the specifics involved in the TSB and since it deals with the SRS system I woudl expect them to jump on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ehh, much like Mr. Lebowski's doctor, I'm very thorough!

Actually, the details of the diagnostics read 'found code for high resistance in driver side air bag module. requires replacement of assembly, estimate 1010.94.

As aside, I have a call in to the shop, but no love...yet.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,705 Posts
Looking at the TBS, the problem appears to be poorly crimped wire connectors. Looks like an easy fix to me. :wink:

I have an '03 X, dad got it new & I inherited it. It's been completely trouble free, even with STi seats & some major MODs. :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
replacing the side airbag is cheap an easy. You can use one from any 03-05 Forester seat (maybe other will work too). It is only two bolts holding it in place and it slides right out. Lots of people sell their stock Forester seats for around $100, and you can even find single seats on eBay for cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As an update...

I followed up and they had to check into which TSB I was referring to, but after doing so, they informed me that the problem was damaged wiring below the seat. So, I'm now pokin' around for a new(er) driver seat and/or AB.

Thanks for the help...

·
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
As an update...

I followed up and they had to check into which TSB I was referring to, but after doing so, they informed me that the problem was damaged wiring below the seat. So, I'm now pokin' around for a new(er) driver seat and/or AB.

Thanks for the help...
But why was the wire damaged? Was it your fault or could it have been caused during the installation? Is the damaged wire on the seat side or the car side (pre or post connector)? I have a side airbag from a WRX that would share the same plug but i'm not sure if they are side dependent.

·
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
After looking at it, they DO appear to be side specific. I can't say that i'm really surprised. Unfortunately mine is the right side. On top of that i'm not really sure how I would have shipped it to you anyway, since they have explosives in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts