Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester 4 Speed automatic
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just an observation..

When doing 60-65mph my forester (4EAT) is sitting at 2.5k ish rpm.
Is this normal? I've driven several cars:
07 legacy, 09 yaris, 09 silverado, 05 buick rendezvous and they all seem to hold at 65mph below or slightly above 2k rpm.

(I was told by a Volkswagen mechanic that the 2.5L NA is not adequate for the size and gearing of the forester.)

Last weekend, on the way back from camping, I decided to experiment and for about a minute I ran the forester at about 100mph to see where the rpm would be.. it held pretty steady at 4.5k.

Is this normal for most NA foresters?
Note: I do have a bike roof rack on the passenger's side but I doubt it can cause a notable amount of drag.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Hey guys just an observation..

When doing 60-65mph my forester (4EAT) is sitting at 2.5k ish rpm.
Is this normal?
That's what my '10 Limited does. I really miss an actual overdrive gear in the transmission though. Even after seven months, I still occasionally find myself waiting for the tranny to drop into OD. :evilatyou:

G

·
It's geared this way because an NA 2.5 just doesn't have the torque to keep a steady 65mph up slight hills and against wind (keeping in mind the Forester has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick) at 2K RPM or below. On the 5MT revs are near the same.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,717 Posts
Its about 400 rpm for every 10 mph with the torque converter "locked up". If the converter were not "locked up" it would be maybe 2800/2900 at 60 mph.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
As others have said, TOTALLY normal...........once I reach 65, my revs are at or slightly above 2500 RPMs.

Usually, larger cars with bigger engines loaf at highway speeds. Smaller engines have to keep the revs up a bit higher so they can maintain or increase speed w/o the engine lagging......

Hard to believe that a Yaris or a Legacy could run at highway speeds with an engine revving that slowly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts