Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 X Auto
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having an issue with my cooling system. After using my car for an hour or two the engine temp rises to max operating temp, it never goes above the second line on the gauge. I'm wondering if the thermostat is sticking, after being at temp for a while it returns to normal and doesn't happen till the next day.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
I'm gonna request you repeat that question with some clarifications:

-- "it never goes above the second line on the gauge" My gauge has 4 lines, bottom, 1/3, 2/3, top. Before the top there is some red at about 1/8 of the total. Where does you needle go, and when?

-- "after being at temp for a while it returns to normal". Where is that? Everyone's is a little or lot different.

·
Registered
2003 X Auto
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Between second and third is opperating temp, normally it's just above the second line and it will randomly peak on the third line. It does not how ever get into the actual overheating red zone.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5MT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT & 2009 Impreza 2.5i 5MT
187 Posts
would be nice if you could post some pics of your "max operating temp" and "returns to normal"

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
Code:
Between second and third is opperating temp, normally it's just above the second line and it will randomly peak on the third line. It does not how ever get into the actual overheating red zone.
Is it consuming/losing coolant? If yes, you have other worries. If no, then I agree that a sticky thermostat might be the cause. Get genuine OEM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts