Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Have you put your hand over the eye in the front and put a flashlight to the eye in the back? I did that in our OB and it still didn't work, they replaced it under the warrantee.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
2 things come to mind here: One is a test.

Is it turned on? There is a power on switch for the mirror. The left side button below the mirror turns the autodimming off and on as indicated by the green Led.

To test it, while driving, or parked with the key to on, on a sunny or bright day, cover the mirror's front sensor (passenger side toward the windshield). Now it senses it's 'dark' outside AND you have bright lights from behind. It should dim under these conditions. Real Easy way to test it's function.

P
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auto-dimming mirror

god questions! Yep, I have power to mirror, and have turned it on. It was working up untill about a month ago. WE're out of warranty now, too.
Second, I did try covering the sensor thing, and nothing happens!
Any other thoughts?

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
Sounds Borked :(

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
when i bought my 01 the mirror didnt dim and when i brought it back to the dealership i had to fight with them about how it was a safety issue and they finally replaced it. they were gonna have me pay for it saying it was a luxury feature.

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
If worse comes to worse I've got a manual mirror you can have. :(

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Only other thing that comes to mind is a 'dirty' sensor. You can clean the 2 photocell sensors with a q-tip and water, glass cleaner, or I use isopropyl alcohol. I dab the q-tip in the alcohol and clean the front and rear sensor with one end, then dry it with the other.

If it is a dirty sensor, I would suspect the one on the face of the mirror, (facing the rear of the car). That's the one that would sense when there is light from behind and dim the mirror. If it were the front sensor (facing the windshield), the mirror is dim all day, then seems to work properly at night.

Aside from cleaning these, yup, time to replace the mirror. If I had to replace mine right now, I would spring for the extra few dollars for the Homelink Mirror. Same features as the self-dimming compass mirror, but adds the Homelink transmitter. One more thing I don't have to carry in the car, provided your garage door opener receiver supports the homelink type transmitter.

P
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess I'll try to clean it one more time! How can these things die? There's basically nothing to it! I'm disappointed in Subaru for this one!

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
Same thing happened to our 2002 OB a few months ago, I have no idea what happened to it, it just sits there for crying out loud.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
From my experiences, I've changed 2 so far. On other vehicles. Neither was for failure to work properly (to Dim that is). Electronics these days are pretty reliable. Those 2 I replaced were for the Liquid Crystals loosing their internal adhesion , That is, they looked like a silver watery display. remember we are heating that area to change the reflective angles, and those crystals do move.

Another thought, I might take the mirror connector and check at pin 1 (pin 2 is ground, pin 3 is +12V ignition switch). Pin 1 is from the backup light circuit. It supplies an additional +12v to the mirror when you put the car in reverse to 'shut off' the auto dimming feature. Something else to possibly check before calling it in need of replacement .

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited High Torque CVT
783 Posts
Subaru offers a parts warranty for 12 months/12k miles if you are within that. If you own a new car it is covered under 3/36.

Sorry to hear about the crappy mirror compass. I would not say that I see an abundance of these break but it does still happen. Good Luck!

Jackie

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
I took my Toyota in to the dealer when it's dimming mirror stopped working. I was really embarassed when the mechanic told all he had to do is remove parking permit that was covering the sensor! I guess I should have looked at it first, my wife put the permit on for her new job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts