Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,105 Posts
The key was cut incorrectly, my guess operator error. You might see if ACE will refund what you paid.

As to recutting...
If it was me, I don't think I'd let ACE try again! I'd look for a high end lock shop. They will have more experience, better equipment & should be able to recut the key.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2004 XT
89 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to let them try to fix this. As it was $2, I'm not inclined to go try to argue for my money back.

Off to the locksmith when I get a chance! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
I mean hey, if it works still, right? ;)

Why didn't the dealer want to cut it for you? Mine did it without hesitation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
@neoshi that seems to be the policy with some dealerships. If you buy from the dealership, they will cut the key for free & sometimes even do the programing, if you're there for other shop services.

Bobby....

·
Registered
15 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper I ordered mine from the local dealership, I emailed them about cutting it and they told me it would not work since it was for a Legacy... Tried to explain to them it would indeed work but no dice, gonna have to go to home depot.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Gotta love dealerships. They told me the same thing when i started the op and i just smiled and said it's my risk that I'll pay them for. Once they saw it work, they started selling to customers with a nice markup lol

I did also have my key tag with me (the one they give you at purchase to duplicate keys)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
@TrashLord @neoshi curious, even if they don't think it will work... the programing, they can cut the key. Ours were cut using the vehicle VIN, not a copy, so it's a perfectly cut key. They work perfectly on my son's '03 X & my '07 FSXT!

Bobby...

281 - 291 of 291 Posts