Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
03 forester 2.5xs 4 eat
335 Posts
My 2003 doesnt have the immobilizer chip system.... So it was that much easier for me...

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
298 Posts
Okay thanks Bobby. Makes sense. I wasn't sure if the immobilizer chip was different or not. Or compatible with other makes, etc. I just got my new key programmed and cut for only $26 at a local locksmith. I doubt the price will change for the new keyfob I just purchased. May as well just do that versus hack into my 2nd key for the foz. It'll be nice to have 3 just in case. I'll try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
298 Posts
So I got my key fob (immobilizer) programmed by a local locksmith. I didn't do any chip modifications or switching out. Just wanted to make sure people knew that it can be done!

And not to mention the programming was only ~$30! It was totally worth it for me not to cut into my only OEM key to get the chip. I got my two other keys programmed and the new key fob combo. I did the actually fob programming myself.

I love it and should have done months ago!! Very beneficial and functional mod. Not to mention the old teardrop fob was always being pressed by accident as the PO did not do the recall that others talk about. So glad to not have that happening or worrying about that happening anymore.

·
Registered
2004 XT
89 Posts
@runjayemcee this integrated key fob works on my son's '03 X & my '07 FSXT. :wink:

With immobilizer security, unless you plan on having the dealership program in a new chipped key, requires transferring the chip from the valet key to the integrated key fob. Take a look at the write up here in my Member Journal: Integrated key fob!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
I'm in an 04XT which I understand doesn't have the immobilizer. Was there a crossover point in the 04/05 years where I might have the immobilizer?

·
Registered
2009 forester
11 Posts
so i just ordered the switch blade style of that key with the lasercut key blade for my 09 fxt. when i get it, ill report back my findings. the stock remote with my car has the fcc id number NHVWB1U711.

·
Registered
2009 forester
11 Posts
so the transmitter code ws successfully programmed into my car, but the remote i got was ****, so it didnt work anyway. im going to order some stuff from ben and go from there.
does anyone know the part number(s) for the flip key shell from subaru?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,105 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
11 Posts
thanks! ive seen those, but all the information i found on those were for the model years that didnt include my car.i know the first one you posted does, but im trying to do it with the oem subaru stuff, so im trying to gather knowledge is all.

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
11 Posts
if it isnt an oem part then it looks like it has oem quality fit and even has the logo on the back. fooled me haha
if it isnt one, id still like to figure out if those oem integrated remote keys will work with my 09 forester. it seems the only confirmed years it works with is up to 2008.

·
Registered
2009 forester
11 Posts
oh nice, i think i read part of that thread but didnt get to the end. it sounds like the 09 legacy remote should work with my 2009 forester, thanks for the help. ill confirm once i order one!!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
37 Posts
I just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this post, it really helped me when I did mine. I made a video detailing what the video went through just in case there was something not detailed enough. I hope this can help someone else out like it did me.

Link to video: How to make a Subaru integrated keyfob

·
Registered
2004 XT
89 Posts
So I got the 09 legacy key and programmed it to the Forester with no problems. Took my existing key and the new key to get it cut. They used a blank from my forester to cut the new key.

The new key isn't cut deep enough and doesn't work. Should I have used a blank from the Legacy?

Attachments

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
89 Posts
I took it to ACE during my lunch break because I thought this would be straightforward so I didn't have a chance to go back in and complain about it.

Since the key is cut too fat, this should be salvageable, right?

The dealer would not cut this key for me :(

261 - 280 of 291 Posts