Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 4AT
4 Posts
Just making sure before I go do this

I don’t have to deal with the immobilizer stuff since I have a 03 X

So I,

1) go to the dealer and obtain the 57497AG48A transmitter
2) ask them to cut the key on the transmitter for my car
3) program the transmitter as per Bobby’s, @2.5x_sleeper Member Journal write up: An Integrated Key Fob for Alex's '03 X! (and my two original Alpine fobs just in case)
4) test and make sure all three work, then have a beer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
6 Posts
Does this key fob combo work with key fob FCC ID of NHVWB1U711?

That is the FCC on the Key Fob that works with my 05 FXT and seems different.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,105 Posts
Just making sure before I go do this

I don’t have to deal with the immobilizer stuff since I have a 03 X

So I,

1) go to the dealer and obtain the 57497AG48A transmitter
2) ask them to cut the key on the transmitter for my car
3) program the transmitter as per Bobby’s attached instructions (and my two original Alpine fobs just in case)
4) test and make sure all three work, then have a beer?

Thanks!
@nrr! congratulations on a successful MOD! :cool:

Bobby..

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: nrr!

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
Does this key fob combo work with key fob FCC ID of NHVWB1U711?

That is the FCC on the Key Fob that works with my 05 FXT and seems different.

Thanks
@runjayemcee this integrated key fob works on my son's '03 X & my '07 FSXT. :wink:

With immobilizer security, unless you plan on having the dealership program in a new chipped key, requires transferring the chip from the valet key to the integrated key fob. Take a look at the write up here in my Member Journal: Integrated key fob!

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XS
11 Posts
I'm a subaru newb so bear with me. I have a 2006 llbean edition. Both remote's unlock button dont' work. So, the 2009 legacy key fob will work, right? I just want to confirm.

Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
Yes, it will work, but I recommend buying the integrated key fob from a Subaru dealership. I've seen members purchase fobs off Amazon & eBay to found they don't work. :frown:

If you buy from a Subaru dealership, they will usually cut the key for you from your VIN. This makes a perfect key. If you frequent the dealership, they may even program it for you. :wink:

You don't have a chipped key (immobilizer security), but the '06 programing is a bit more difficult, but is doable. Take a look at the programing instructions I posted at the bottom of this Member Journal write up: Integrated key fob!

You may be able to fix your broken fobs. Take look at this write up in my Member Journal: Remote fob repair :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XS
11 Posts
So, I got one of the 2009 legacy keys off a subaru dealer on ebay for my 2006.
It has the 8 digit key ID number.
I can get the car into the program mode.
I get to step number 7 and that's where I'm stuck.

Link to Bobby's, @2.5x_sleeper Member Journal write up: Integrated key fob! The programing instructions are on the bottom of the post.

I can put in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th digit than I get a quick 4 beeps and the programming stops.
am I missing something here?

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
Looking over the programing steps in the Owner's manual, I see no mention of 4 quick beeps"? :confused:

I do see this: "If the interval between one push of the switch and the next exceeds five seconds, an error will occur". I'm not sure if "an error will occur" = "4 quick beeps"?

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XS
11 Posts
Eureka!!!!
I was pausing too long after step six.
I just need to go straight from step six to step 7 without allowing it to beep, just like step 8.

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XS
11 Posts
Yeah, so much better than the forester remote. The one good one was on its last legs. The unlock would only work 10% of the time. Something needed to be done soon. I'll probably get another one.

·
Registered
2007 Forester X Automatic?
14 Posts
2007 Subaru Forester (Canada-Ontario) confirmed this works. The "tone" emanates from the "chirper" or "buzzer" or "electronic tone" or whatever you want to call it. It's that small "speaker" attached to the front of the radiator. I bought my FOB online for $30 1 month ago and haven't been able to program it due to the "chirper/buzzer" having the contact points corroded to oblivion. So, I had to rewire it for me to hear the "tone" and start programming the new FOB.

Big big thanks to Bobby for his help through this time, I've been pulling my hair (whatever is left of it) because I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and it all boiled down to the damn "chirper/buzzer" being disconnected.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
298 Posts
I found this thread via @2.5x_sleeper (Bobby) and I just ordered the fob for my 05XT. Super excited as the old key and fob are bulky. Should get it next weekend and give it a shot! I only received one key when I bought my foz (sucks but oh well). So I purchased an aftermarket key (w/immobilizer of course) and just got it cut and programmed today. Original and new work, so my plan is to cut into the original key since it is rubberized and not hard plastic and use the chip from it on the new combo key fob.

One question since I don't remember reading it here. It is impossible to program the new key fob with the chip that it comes with? Is that because it's used in a legacy versus a forester? Or is it just cheaper to use the chip from an extra key?

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
Reusing the chip from the valet key is to save the cost of having the new chip programmed to your Forester. I'm pretty sure you could have the new key (chip) programmed to your your Forester, if you don't mind forking out the bucks to have it done. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
03 forester 2.5xs 4 eat
335 Posts
I can confirm the 08 key (square, but integrated fob) works on 03s as well... Picked one up on a whim from ebay for $20 and tried... It programmed right up and works great...

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
There are 2 parts to the programing if you have immobilizer... chipped key security. The transmitter fob can be self programed, but the immobilizer... chipped key security, started in the '05 XT, requires the Subaru dealership, or locksmith to program. This will add to the cost of this MOD. :frown:

This is the reason some member's transplant the immobilizer chip from their valet key to the new integrated key fob + most people will never use their valet key :wink:

Bobby...

241 - 260 of 291 Posts