Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so I read through craigr's thread about it and saw dale's(garagexti) in person and decided this was a mod for me. Ive done a ton of reading on hidplanet.com and retrofitsource.com in their forums so I figured I was ready so I finally pulled the trigger.

Tools needed:
Phillips head screwdriver
Flat head screwdriver
Dremmel(w/ cutting wheel, grinding stone, drill bit)
Work Gloves
Eye protection(lots of grinding plastic)
Spray Paint(optional)
Oven
Can of compressed air(not needed but useful)
JB weld(not needed but good to have incase you break something)
8mm deep socket

craig and dale both went through a lot more work than I did locating the parts since they did theirs so long ago before retrofitting was as popular as it is now. I bought a kit which included:

new morimoto bi-xenon projector

gattling gun shrouds

morimoto ballasts

morimoto 5k bulbs

TRS 9003 conversion harness

I went with this kit because it was all inclusive and the morimoto projectors though possibly not quite as nice they are slightly smaller and made specifically for retrofitting and thus they come apart easily to mount.

I am not going to cover how to take the headlights out of the car in depth, simply because I didnt take pictures because I have done it so many times that it is second nature to me. but basically there are 3 10mm bolts that hold the lights in. take the grill out, take the surrounds out, undo the 3 bolts out and then gently pull until you can reach the bulbs. disconnect them and you are home free.

So now once you have the headlights out time for some cooking. pre heat your oven to 250ish. there are some one way screws that I notched with my dremmel to take them out. now once all the screws are out pop them in the oven and indulge in a nice cold one

after about 10 minutes or so(or when your roommate asks you what smells like burning) take them out of the oven. Some people might need pot holders but since I have been cooking for 15 years all I needed was my work gloves. The silicone or whatever holds it together should be loosened by now and they should pull apart pretty easily once you have popped all the tabs up.

now that the light is separate you've got the front half and the back half. *disclaimer* if you are not painting your headlight housing(like craig) then you want to be VERY careful not to scratch the chrome portion as it is very soft. If you are painting you still want to be somewhat careful since you don't want to have to paint over and deep scratches *end disclaimer* On the back half first thing you need to do it unscrew the one phillips screw and the actual reflector portion drops out and you are left with this

Turn the back half over so you are looking at the back. First you want to unscrew the aiming screw until it is all the way out. then you pop off the little cap and use your 8mm and unscrew that one as well(this is pictured on the bottom right)

Gently pop out the last part the is holding the chrome portion is and now we are ready to start the surgery.

(minimal pics here since there was a ton of dust and I didn't want to mess up my camera)
so you will see that the portion that held in the bulb has a little grooved/raised lip on the back. You will carefully cut that portion out since it is no longer needed, but you will want to keep it as close to the ridge as possible since the dimensions of the projector aren't much taller than the opening you are cutting out. once you cut it out you are ready to start the grinding. I would recommend doing this part in an open area or with a fan since there is a ton of dust flying everywhere. you will mainly be grinding away the sides since as I mentioned before the height is pretty close to fitting as it.

Now the nice part of the morimoto's is that you can unscrew the lens off and have way more room to mount the portion that you are screwing in
this:

becomes this:

once you get the back or the projector in to a spot where you can mount it you will need to drill the holes out where. The hole is really too narrow to mark off and drill with the projector out so be careful when doing this step.

I used machine screws(ill update later when I go back downstairs an check the package) but i made one hole, inserted the screw and tightened the nut down on the back side. do this 3 more times so you can permanently attach the projector. now that the mounting portion is secure you can reattach the lens and cutoff plate.

I chose to black out the chrome housing and paint the shroud red since I thought it would look good with my red car. I used plastic paint and both the housing and shroud got 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear coat.

wait until everything is dry, snap the shroud on and reassemble

While I was in there I decided that I no longer wanted the amber reflector so I separated the headlight cover from the other portion, which is only held in by 3 screws(2 on the left and 1 on the bottom right)

it takes some work and sounds like you are breaking something but insert the blade of your flat head screw driver underneath the reflector and pop it out. reassemble.

now you are pretty much done. put the headlight back together as much as you can and put it back into the oven for a few more minutes. remove and push back together and add silicone where necessary to prevent future fogging.
this is the only picture I have and it is before i put the headlight cover back on

Like the absent minded individual I am I didn't take a picture of the finished product installed before I dropped the car off at IAG to have the brembos installed today. but I will update the post with a finished pic installed but overall I think they came out really well. I think I will eventually take them apart and black out the turn signal chrome since it looks kind of out of place.

questions, comments, and most importantly praise are all welcome

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
HIDS are in and look great, glad i went with the 5k over the 4300's

bumper still off

day time close up

up close night

with brights on. not a great shot to show the cut off since i am parked light 3 feet from the garage door but living in a town house and having 2 cars behind you make it a pain in the donkey to take better pics

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
nice cant wait to see it finished! looks like you cracked the back housing a little bit though. you wont notice from far away anyways...

·
Former Foz Dude
2010 WRX STI SE STI 6-speed, yo
1,362 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice cant wait to see it finished! looks like you cracked the back housing a little bit though. you wont notice from far away anyways...
I did but that was on the practice run. I had a set of lights i effed up before from trying to do a LED eyebrow that went terribly wrong.

the cutting isn't terribly perfect either but it is covered up by the shroud so I wasnt worried

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, you give me evil ideas.. lol.

Is there alignment screws to aim the projectors on the mount?
since the lights are still mounted in the stock housing you can still use the stock adjustment screws...I think. When I get my car back, install the HIDS ill let ya know

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
hmm would like to know about aim as well.. quite a few ricers back in SF just have light spraying all over like R Kelly.

ive always wanted to do a four lamp bi-xenon setup though.. not sure how to start something like that. might need to just trying transplanting some bimmer headlamps.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm would like to know about aim as well.. quite a few ricers back in SF just have light spraying all over like R Kelly.

ive always wanted to do a four lamp bi-xenon setup though.. not sure how to start something like that. might need to just trying transplanting some bimmer headlamps.
I would love to see that but it certainly wouldn't be an amateur job since it would require cutting out the complete back of the and not just enough space for one projector. Even if the aim isn't dead on(which i will do my best to make it) I don't think it will be spray like r kelly since the projector should keep it a little more ron jeremy style aimed :lol:

i hope somebody post 06-08 retrofit right up
there are a few members who already have done it.

duderotomy's can be found here
ken cravillion's can be found here
creosti's can be found here

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Dang Vinny...looking good. How much have you spent in supplies? How much will you charge me to replicate your set?:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
updated with HIDS installed.

this week I am going take them apart again, paint the chrome and put different shrouds on. These are too big(deep) and don't look right. not digging the red either will paint these black or just use nightshades and tint the chrome. reds don't match very well once they are installed

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
I just reached over for my popcorn, and my cat bit me...:icon_surprised:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts