Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 X Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to the forums and not even really legit, as I haven't bought a Subaru YET.

I am looking at an excellent 02 - one previous owner, all services records spot on, very nicely kept vehicle.

It has 150,000 on the clock and it looks like the timing belt was replaced at 120,000.

What else should I be looking for - and should that little voice that one salesman (trying to talk me out of the Subaru dream) gave me of "expensive parts" be a deterrent?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
G'day & Welcome!

By "02" and car model "X" I assume you are talking about Model Year (MY) 2003 X Series which is the same year as mine.

At 150K most issues should have been resolved especially if the service records are good.

I'd be looking at the left-hand side (passenger) of the engine to see if there is any major seepage from the head; a little is OK.

Have a good look underneath for offroad damage.

Lots of us buy parts from subarupartsgirl in the US. Much better pricing than down-under.

·
Registered
2002 X Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for that feedback - by what I said it may have indicated I am not a car girl! I would hate to disabuse you of that notion.

But then again, perhaps now is a good time to start*!

(edited to add - a good time to start being a car girl, rather than disabusing you of the notion that I am)

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Parts are no worse than any other manufacture. Over all on par, some higher some lower. If you know how and wear to shop for parts(ask and we'll tell) often times you can be cheaper.

Given the mileage/year(any Subaru in this area) as Kevin hinted at, have a trusted shop take a look at the head gasket area for any indications of pending failure. I tend to advise people on the side of caution, expect to have to do them after 120,000 at some point. Sure some go for 200K-300K but from what I see most are in the 80K to 140K window.

Take a look at tires.
- Are they all the same brand and model
- Same size
- relatively same wear

Subaru has a tire wear spec for the allowed difference for any one tire. All tires should be within 1/4" rolling circumference. Tire condition will be one indicator of how well the owners cared for it.

As for the timing belt records, you will want to see what the invoice looks like. Many shops/owners will just do the belt. There are other items that should also be done for a complete job. Items like:
- Hydraulic tensioner
- Idler pulleys
- Water pump?

·
Registered
2002 X Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that - I bit the bullet and bought it.

Tyres are new all around, but the car has definitely been looked after and has had every check required throughout its life with one owner. As I have the full records, I will talk to the folks who have been servicing it to find out what was done when the belt was replaced.

·
Registered
2002 X Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ha ha Kevin - my record on Fraser is Elements 1 Jeanie 0 - I do believe the combination of me and that island creates precipitation on an unprecedented level (and I am a wuss)

That being said, there is a road through the Kalpowar forest I have a gripe with.

·
Registered
'17 XT Premium
164 Posts
Hey there :D

Good luck for the purchase!

Little things I always check for when buying a car; Make sure the CV boots aren't split and cracked (easy fix, but its not good to be running those joints with grit all through em, and its a warrantable item in NZ too)

Check the seams of the body in the boot and under the hood; its the infallible way to tell if a car has suffered *any* decent front or rear end contact.

usual noise check from wheels and bearings etc, 150,000 is a fair time on the road after all. New tires and brake pads are nice, but not necessary.

Clutch is a good one to check too. If its slipping or having trouble pulling away ie revs going up much faster than the car accelerates, Clutch swaps are expensive if you cant do it yourself or have a mate to help out XD

Most importantly, make sure its a colour you like! All the best bud, hope to see you on here later :D

·
Registered
2002 X Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you NZForester - I am seriously contemplating changing to a manicurist who stocks Subaru variants to overcome any colour issues that may arise, so think I can dodge that bullet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts