Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to do research and figure out what is needed to do this swap, a lot of the information seems pretty vague.(That I have found) I'm on a tight budget and was wondering what would need to be done. I know it's easiest to get a non avcs motor and something about cam gears that's all I know. I'm starting to learn how to work on cars and I have a pretty basic knowledge of them. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2001 Shopping For SF5
16 Posts
I've been away from the forum (and Foresters) for a few years... I'm back because I have a similar question.

I found a post on the RS25 forum where matt167 said that the Non-AVCS EJ205 and a tune using Project Lambda is probably the easiest swap into an SF5.

I'm trying to determine if anyone can verify whether the info below is true...

Quote from RS25 Forum:
"Easier way... JDM Non AVCS EJ205 ( plug wire engine ). You need it complete but they almost always come that way. Lots of importers at your doorstep basically..

You need a few JDM spec parts like plug wires, and power steering hoses from an EDM model, but pretty much it's easy to get that stuff

The old NON AVCS EJ205 ( with the plug wires ) has the same IAC system, the same TPS, the same cam timing systems, and the same ECU system ( JECS ).. With all that, the engine will actually run on the factory 2001 Forester JECS ECU.. You will need to extend a few wires on the engine harness, make up something for the IAT/MAP sensor and of course a TUNE that is now possible with project Lambda... All in all, likely much easier for you and a similar result. Only a few wires need changing... The Non AVCS EJ205 ( plug wire engine ) is what the SF5 STI came with in Japan"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts