Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S manual
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Recently my Forester started running a little rough. I changed the spark plugs and wires because they were old. Didn't help or make worse the condition, but over the last month it has gotten bad. Sometimes it runs fair and other times I have to ride the clutch while taking off from a stop or it will stall. My cel has always come on and off from time to time due to my exhaust, but it came on and stayed on for awhile. I got it scanned and have p0301 p0302 p0303 and p0304 which are misfire codes one each cylinder. I seafoamed it with no improvement. I am kinda thinking the chances of all the injectors being dirty is not that likely (since I have misfires on all cylinders.) Any Ideas? Ignition coil going maybe? Its weird that it isn't terrible sometimes but then gets really really bad at times. Like i started it and it was idling smooth. I went inside to grab something and come out and its about to stall. I have hesitation when trying to accelerate, and sometimes it seems like my rpms dont want to go up when I am flooring it at cruising speed. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
99 Forester L Automatic
101 Posts
The fact that it's on all four cylinders is weird..and I vaguely remember learning once what's playing in at that point but I can't remember :/ so just general misfire things-to-check after the spark plugs and wires:

Front o2 sensor
Coil pack: check for arcing, replace if needed
Fuel system: pump, injectors
Compression and leak down tests if you haven't yet, they can give a lot of solid insight on what could be going on inside

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
The ignition coil is one possibility.

Others include vacuum leaks and poor EGR valve operation, i.e., clogged plumbing.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Thanks for the "It's Fixed!" report!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2002 Forester S manual
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I though the coil fixed it. I drove it around for a little while and it seemed like it was running better. Later that night it started running like crap again. Idk whats up. I changed the plugs to ngk platinum and changed the wires to Ngks as well. Changed the fuel filter, ran tectron through it. Seafoamed it. Still misfire codes on all cylinders. Check engine has been on but isnt flashing. I have a really bad hesitation when accelerating. I have to ride the clutch when going from a stop of it just bogs, It idles really rough. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,216 Posts
double-check the air filter assembly is seated and closed properly. double-check all air intake connections. after that, remove and replace the A/F O2 sensor ... How many miles are on the car?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Misfire all cylinders, I'd take a look to see if the timing belt jumped a tooth or teeth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts