Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I am at a loss with my car. I got a valve seal replaced recently with plug boot also. I now have a check engine light on with terrible misfire/choking and loss of acceleration. It usually happens at about 1800 rpm's. I am trying to find info on changing my plugs for my specific model 02 SF. I have also read front and rear o2 sensor could be the culprit.

I have had alot of older cars and this is my newest model ever. I used to be able to do everything to pre 85 or so vehicles. In my head it is telling me the car is choking. I am thinking points, plugs, cat converter or a vacuum problem somewhere.

I am looking for a 02 forester plug change walk thru and only have found one for a wrx. Does anyone have a link or should i just spend the money on a forester manual from an auto parts store?

please throw yer two cents in. I feel like I should throw in the towel and pay the dealership $120 for a diagnostic, Although I would feel better changing plugs and so forth so I know it has been done. This car is 4 months new to me. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paying for the code is what I am trying to avoid. The dealership wants $120 for the diagnostic if it isnt covered under my third party warranty.

Would someplace other then the dealership have a diagnostic computer that might be cheaper but as accurate as a dealership model? I know places like advanced auto, etc. have them but they are far inferior to the computers the dealership's invest in.

But then again between buying the tools (ratchet extensions), the o2 sensor, etc and not finding the solution would result in about the same price, with no end fix. I guess I'll just bring it in and see what they say.

Just feel like I am getting schtooped by the dealer, and after what I have gone through with this particular dealership, I want nothing to do with them.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
some parts stores like autozone will scan the code free of charge.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went had auto zone and advanced auto run the code check. PO302 = 2nd cylinder misfiring.

i took off the plug boot that I had the valve seal replaced on and there was oil all over it. I am thinking there is oil inside that shaft for the plug and I bet the dealership thru in the same plug that was in prior to the valve seal job. I was told they changed the plug as I specifically asked them if they had or not. I bought plugs and I'm just waiting for the engine to cool to change that one plug first .
Whats the best way to clean that plug boot?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Don't clean the boot, replace the wire/wire set.

Once the boots are oil soaked it starts to break the rubber down and provides a path for the electricity to possibly ground out.

You could verify if it is the plug wire by swapping it with another wire to see if the misfire code moves with the wire. IE: P0301, P0303, P0304

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no CEL now. Gonna go buy a plug wire set.the funny thing is that 1 and 4 looked worse then number 2 plug but hey i just went for a highway ride and a quick back road and all is well. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts