Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
More questions.... Will struts from an 02-08 forester bolt strait into a 98 model forester?

·
Registered
1999 forester automatic
16 Posts
i read that you can( i have a 99). also read that you have to use second gen struts if you want bigger tires as the perches seat higher on the newer struts than ours. i just picked up struts from an 06 and the rear top mounts look a little different. i am hopefully installing today and i will let you know how it goes

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
I believe the rears will require the matching SG-chassis upper strut mounts since the early Forester had the same upper rear strut mounts as the bugeye WRX's.

So throw on a complete set of SG-chassis struts, springs, and upper mounts and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
1999 forester automatic
16 Posts
i got full strut assemblies from an 06 for my 99. are you saying i need to purchase something else or will they direct fit?

·
Registered
1999 forester automatic
16 Posts
yea the junk yard pulled them straight off whole and gave them to me fully assembled. the only reason i got worried is because the 06 top mount is a horseshoe shape and the 99 is a triangle

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Yup, yours are the older style upper top hats. They came on the SF-chassis cars and the bugeye Impreza models.
Then the rear top hats were revised and look like a solid chunch of rubber essentially.
The bolt patterns are the same, but the spring design and strut shaft diameter changed.

Here is the old style compared to the new style:

OLD DESIGN (SF-chassis)

UPDATED DESIGN (SG-chassis)

·
Registered
1999 forester automatic
16 Posts
awesome thanks. my buddy bailed on helping last night so we are doing them tonight. do you know about how much lift i will be getting putting the 06 struts onto the 99?

·
Registered
1999 forester automatic
16 Posts
yes that was the main reason i wanted to swap struts was for tire clearance but was also hoping for some lift from them too. my tires came today with the 215/70/16 genneral grabber fit with just the strut change or should i wait for top strut lifters to install the tires?

·
Registered
1999 forester automatic
16 Posts
easy successful swap. direct fit (99 struts off, 06 struts on) got exactly 3/4" lift in front and 5/8" lift in back. mounted 215/70/16 general grabber at2s and gave me a total of 1 3/4" front and 1 5/8" rear. very minimal rubbing at full turn in front wheel wells. should go away when my 2" strut mount lifters get here. if not i will try out some 20 or 25mm wheel spacers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts