Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a rattle in my 2010 Forester. Sound like it might be in the passenger side door, either front or rear. Fine on any smooth road, but comes on like gangbusters on any uneven pavement.
Anyone had the same problem?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Search the site, it sounds like you are getting noise from the plastic baffle in the door, good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Touring
10 Posts
Here's the fix...

Hey there

It's a known problem with 09-10 Fozzies. I am uncertain why Subaru have not corrected this in the manufacturing. :mob:

I recently called the dealer that sold me my 2010 Touring and he said to take it to a local garage with the Subaru Tech Tip since the nearest Subaru dealer is about 200 miles from here and the dealer that sold me the vehicle is 450 miles from here. See the attached picture that I had found on this forum concerning the rattle.

My rattle started in the driver's side door, then passenger. Sometimes the music (little bit of bass) causes the noise, sometimes small bumps. All I know is that it is tiresome.

I am certain others here can add to my comment, however, as stated by the previous poster, it sounds like the baffle problem.

My vehicle is going in on Tuesday to rectify the problem.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
So coincidentally, I just logged on to report my "possible" rattle source. I say possible, because it is very intermittent and every time I come up with a theory I end up proving myself wrong. My rattle always seems to be in front of me in the dash. My dealer only has a bulletin on a door pillar rattle, which I do believe I've heard a few times on the passenger side where the seat belt retracts. It is kind of loud and harsh where as the one that drives me crazy is a relentless high velocity (many/second) tap, tap, tap but not loud and occurs (sometimes) on rough pavement at low speeds. Last night it reared it's ugly head and I seemed to be able to stop it by firmly pressing the hard trim between the windshield and top of the door. However, this morning I heard it again and that wasn't helping. The support handle above the door has some horizontal (I suppose slight vertical too) movement. I firmly grasped it and I think I stopped it. The problem is I probably only had about a five second window before I hit smooth pavement. I won't be able to confirm this until I hear it again. At times I have probably driven as much as two weeks without hearing the rattle. This is why I can't waist my time at the dealer, as chances are that it wouldn't be doing it then.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
My father had a shop and not to put too fine a point on it, but everybody who was anybody brought there vehicles there for tune up and electrical work, this is back in the late 70's mind you when many vehicles needed tuned on a regular basis and we were well equipped for that task because we possessed the the only chassis Dyno within a 200 mile radius so we could tune and diagnose problems during an applied load.

Among our fields of expertise was noise elimination and if a customer was annoyed enough to pay by the hour for diagnosis and repair, we would hunt down the offending noise and kill it for them and I would often be the one to drive while our "noise surgeon" diagnosed the problem with various listening devices and the guy almost seemed psychic at times which was kind of spooky.

Anyway, we had a customer that had purchased a new Rolls Royce that had a strange, intermittent noise in it and because it was a Rolls, it was all that much more annoying to him I suppose so the guy was determined to find out what it was even though it seldom happened and was not very loud at all.

He told my father he wanted it fixed and said he didn't care what it cost or what we had to do, find the noise and eliminate it. Those were the magic words so we got to it and for the next 4 hours set out to diagnose the noise. After a couple of hours our noise surgeon had narrowed it down to somewhere in the back bottom section of the front passenger door and said it was like a rolling noise on hills at times and at others, was a ticking sound on particularly rough pavement and surmised that it may be a loose bolt inside the door which would have been unusual on such a fine, handcrafted coach.

In order to be certain of the origin, they tore everything off the door that they could and with it stripped bare, took the vehicle back out and for another couple of hours duplicated the noise to make certain of it's location and the next thing I knew, my father was making a phone call to the owner and telling him that if he wanted the noise fixed that we would have to cut the door open to which the guy replied, "I don't give a damn what you have to do, find the noise and eliminate it."

Again the magic words had been spoken and with that, we sent the vehicle down the block to the premier body shop in town that did the body and paint work on all the most expensive cars around and instructed them to cut the lower back portion of the front passenger door panel open and look for a loose bolt or something which was from the sound of it, the likely offender. An hour later the owner walked in and handed my father something with a tag on it, and my father looked at it and without saying anything, placed it in his pocket, phoned the owner and told him he could pick up the vehicle the following day and that he was sure the noise was eliminated.

My father refused to tell the owner or any of us what the body shop operator had given him and since he had known the Rolls owner for years, he simply told him he would only speak with him in person about the noise solution and that the vehicle would be ready for pick up the following morning. My father was a funny man, the kind of guy that could tell a five minute joke without boring anyone and he enjoyed being mysterious and surprising people whenever he got the opportunity as well, something the owner of the Rolls knew all to well and therefore agreed to be at the shop the first thing in the morning.

The owner of the Rolls was the first one in the door the next day and all twenty five of my father's employees were standing at the front counter waiting for him because we wanted to see the noise source as well. The man walked up to the counter and my father asked the man who Andrew Baron was (not his real name) and the man's expression immediately turned to one of anger followed shortly thereafter by a look of defeat and then a strange sort of amusement.

Apparently the gentleman knew Andrew Baron, a long time friend and an engineer who worked at the Rolls factory and over the years they had been in sort of an undeclared practical joke war with one another and I'm not sure what the owner of the Rolls did to deserve this, but it must have been a good practical joke Mr. Baron had gone to a fair amount of trouble to "foul" the man's brand new custom Rolls.

My father reached in his pocket and handed the man a shiny ball bearing the size of a marble which was drilled precisely through the center and hanging from it was a wired, hard plastic tag had been very carefully attached to the bearing and the tag read, "Payback is a biatch, your friend Andrew Baron."

The moral of the story is that none of us likely know anyone at the Subaru plant and all our noises are from natural causes I would assume, and since we didn't pay for a Rolls Royce, we should expect a bit of annoyance from time to time but if you have the money, there is always a solution however financially painful it may be and by the way, my father didn't charge the man with the Rolls because the job was thoroughly amusing for everyone involved and whenever I hear a noise in my vehicle, it brings back fond memories for me because of this.

Disclaimer: This story has been slightly embellished for entertainment sake as all good stories are but the basic facts are all true and I miss you greatly Pop, you were the best.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
That is the funniest story I have read in a long while!
Thanks. I was very fortunate to have a father with a fantastic sense of humor who was also a man with a great deal of integrity who ran an honest automotive shop and hired the same sorts of individuals to work for him, mechanics I was blessed to grow up around who not only taught me how to be profane with style and intelligence which has come in quite handy over the years, but men who also taught me some very profound life lessons as well and I continue to miss them all to this day.

Anyone who was in Peoria Illinois back in the 50's through the early 80's may remember the shop on SW Adams street, Nicholes' Auto Electric Service, and no, for the last time, tuning an engine will not make your car pull to the left no matter how hard someone tries, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts