1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester (SF) 5-Speed
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***AUGUST 2012***
I just picked up this week my "new" 2001 Subaru Forester S,

The Forester is wicked clean inside and out. The previous owners loved it and took car of everything very well, they just grew out of it. I think they told me they have 6 or 7 kids. Which is a total score for me. I am going to be a Freshman in the fall of 2012 so I needed something bigger to carry things for college, my old Nissan was a tad small for about everything
Specs
-2001 Forester S (premium edition)
-163,xxx miles
-Heated seats/windows/pw/pl/ alarm system
5-speed manual
Very minimal rust on the body and I don't think any on the chassis.
When "New"

S= Special (Heated Seats, Moonroof, Soundsystem by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr

New Subaru and Old Nissan by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr

MASSIVE Moon roof by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr

Now lets fast forward to almost a year...
Painted Rims
Got rid of my crossbars for the roof rack because they were ugly
Got a new head unit
Driven it about 17,000 mi (roughly over a year)
The Forester now has over 180k Miles on it, still strong though
Tires were still good enough from last year to run all summer. But definitely going to need some for the Spring when the snow melts.

Now (Summer time) with my puppy

Puppy wanting to go for a ride by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr

LIST

Things done
New brakes
Set of Winters
WRX Sway Bar
Got rid of the OEM Mud flaps because they caused rust
Painted Rims
New Head unit
Bought an awesome Scanguage, now I get real time mileage and diagnostics :D

Future
FIX RUST, my car is being eaten by these NY weathers with all the salt they use. It's like driving down a stone road in the winter, but instead of stone- it's salt. :(
WRX suspension
Fix little things like bulbs that are out
Grille mod, (want that awesome looking mesh)
Solve wind noise, In Progress
Maybe create my own exhaust parts.
Mud flaps( Rally Armour or knock offs)
SUBARU Front window sticker/ Vinyl
Some little Plasti Dipping, the grille (If I haven't made my own mesh one)
Re Black my handles with Plasti Dip
Hella Supertones maybe
Wheel spacers, for that mean stanced look:biggrin:
Momo/ aftermarket shift knob
Yellow overlays on the bottom fog lights

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After neglecting my post on the forum, I have decided to start up again and show what me and my car have done. Nothing too crazy. I've had my car for over a year now, and I'm at about 180,xxx and still running strong. I got some wheels last winter for the season from my friend who a newer legacy and I bought his old set of winters! Only a couple winters on them and they are still nice a beefy for my Central NY Winters.
Some Rims from a 99 Legacy outback

01 Subaru Forester by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr

Untitled by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr
After winter I went back to my regular 01 forester wheels, with some pretty low tread tires and some gross corroded wheels

Wheels that need some help. by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr
I ran around all spring and summer with these, but I thought that they were in need of some sanding and paint. So my friend and I decided to attempt to spray some black spray paint on my wheels and see how they would look. Not like we were going to be able to go back to silver, but it was our first attempt and I think we did a pretty good job too!

Rims by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr
This project made me somewhat decide to change what I thought I wanted to do with my life and go into something completely opposite. I am now thinking about going into Auto Body Tech for my major, I enjoy cars, I just never really got into engines and no one in my family really does either, I have a friend that I ask everything, engine wise, about and I try to read up on Forums about Subarus and attempting to learn my way in this car world.

Sway bars- I got a wrx sedan sway bar from a pick n pull and had it put in. My other one along with my whole suspension (Talk about that later) is terribly old and is weak and corners are very scary if you are going faster than 10. So much roll in the body that I can't really drive my car fast (haha, N/A isn't fast anyways) other than in a straight line. So I got my sway bar in and I have been thinking about going full WRX suspension. I really like the look of cars that are lowered (not slammed/ hellaflush) and still use-able. I don't really do anything like towing, I just load up the back of my car and carry thing there. But I think summer 2014 when I am working full time I am going to do a full suspension swap. I have been looking at other peoples post about wrx suspension and it looks awesome.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Price paid if u dont mind me asking? Post pix too lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures. I have been neglecting to post on here because I can't seem to figure out Flickr and how to post from there. I will figure this out though. You can look me up on Flickr at jaredshurtleff12

EDIT: I did get the pictures to be uploaded. The price was 4000. The family had outgrown the car so I got it for relatively cheap. The brakes were sort of crap so they didn't knocked off a few.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So lately I have been driving a lot, mainly because my girlfriend lives about an hour and a half away and I'm on break from college. I live on a campus that is on a hill (there honestly isn't a way to get to school that doesn't involve a hill to drive up) and seems how I am the only one in my friend group that has a car- I do most of the driving. I was getting roughly 150 for a half tank. Which at college that isn't too bad, it's mainly slow 30 mph stop and go. But when I got home and I was highway driving and not city driving I was still getting the same crap mileage. I want to be getting around 25-28. My check engine light has been on but nothing has really changed since it was on. Now I'm starting to get what its effecting. I don't usually get anything fixed unless it's something that's majorly wrong. But it's my emissions system as the code reader tells me. I have two codes and they are both for my ES, does anyone know if it effects your mileage that bad or does anyone know of anything else that could help my mileage? I need an oil change and I think I might change spark plugs seems how I was a bad owner when I got the Forester and didn't do anything mechanically with it. Let alone changing Spark plugs in a Subaru is very difficult.

I also tried Seafoam, I am not sure if it really helped it out but I did it through the vacuum lines and a little smoke did come out, but nothing like I've seen on Youtube.

Any questions about this I can try to answer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice rig!! Looks darn similar to mine! I like what you did to the wheels, I had the same plan!! :biggrin:
Yeah, I had to do something. Whether it was with paint or plasti dip something needed to be done, they were real ugly with all that corrosion! It took a lot of time to sand by hand (I think I need to buy a sander if I ever do that again!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Winter 2012- late winter 2013 (I can't remember to be honest) I was at a soccer practice and practice was over and my friend came back inside to tell me "to call my parents" and in complete shock for reasons I don't know I asked why. He tells me that his little cousin "drove into my forester" In my mind my doors were smashed in and I was going to have a ton of damage. I asked my friend if anything was really broken or dented and he just says "it will need work" His dad happens to be a auto body and has been for 25+ years so I think that my friend would know that it would need work. So I finish getting dressed and come outside to a dark Forester because it was night and see this

NOTHING that I was expecting and what he said it was going to be. But luckily his family is pretty well off and we didn't have to get insurance involved and it got all fixed, it only took the body shop 4 days too!

Gave it a full detail too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After long thought about my rims and the color that I wanted to paint them I picked up the materials from a local Autozone.
Things Used.
sand paper 1600 grit I believe
Painters tape
newspaper
black spraypaint
Clear coat
About 2 hours in time and a friend to help make it go by faster (and who doesn't love group projects)

1) Took the wheels off, good thing I have a spare set of wheels for winter

2) Gave them a good wash and sanding down. There was a ton of corrosion on them so I needed to sand the crap out of them.

3) After the sanding I washed them again, then dried them. I used some basic paint thinner or wax and grease remover to give them a real thorough cleaning.

4) Time for some masking and using the paper

I wasn't able to get the wheel weights off of the wheels so when I get new tires (Spring 2014) I will have to do some touch up work. Which won't be too bad.

5) Sprayed about 5 good coats (This is my friends and my first time attempt at this)

6) My friend and I let them sit over night in his garage and the next morning we sprayed a couple light layers of clear.

And ended up looking like this!

I think that they came out pretty well, and they have held up through all different weather. The first day after they dried they were driven threw a rain storm (like the clear coat was just put on.)

I think they look awesome and I left the center caps the way they are because I thought that it would look good like that!

Rims by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
December 2013
So even though I had a pretty awesome stereo in my Forester (the OEM one with a 6 Disc and Cassette) I wanted to change. I had really been looking into getting on with bluetooth. I am driving somewhat a lot and I wanted something that I could talk without having to actually pick up a phone. So I started to do research on some awesome head units. When I found it, I knew I wanted it. The Kenwood DDX 470.

This was it. It was the newest and best one (in my opinion) that had everything I needed. I didn't want a complete touch like some were. But this one has an analog volume button and Bluetooth, both in which I wanted so bad.
I was going to wait for my tax refund from the job I had this summer to pay for it and install it with my buds, but then my mom asked me what I wanted for christmas. I told her that I didn't want her paying for the radio, but this radio is one of the only things I got this year and when I get my tax refund I have to pay her back for half of what it cost.

I got it from Crutchfield.com (Awesome site, tech support that is USA based, and lifetime warranty!) So it took about 3 days to ship with no extra fees to get it here in that amount of time. I put it in that day!

One problem that we ran into was that the wiring harnesses didn't come together.They tell you in the instructions to solder. Me, personally, I don't know how to and never really learned to solder, so my friend had one and my other friend said that he has done it before. So we took a chance and decided to do it.
It was crap... the wires were sort of soldered together. So we took it for a test run and put it in and decided to try it out. It crackled and all this other weird noise came through my speakers. (We neglected to tape/ heat shrink the solders) All the wires were touching each other and making it not work right.
I had to call for help from my car guru friend for him to come over after work to help me out because I am new to the car modification scene.

He arrived and then had about a 20 min laugh at the job we had done. The solders were ****, he said " Why didn't you just butt connect it together?" I then face palmed myself and got embarrassed because I knew that we could have done that.(I was just following Directions from the box) After searching for 20 mins for 12 butt connectors we finally got it in and got it running

13 years of human slime

Found my Security System!

So my dash no longer looks like this!

Interior by JaredShurtleff12, on Flickr

I will post pictures of my HU when I get a chance to take a good picture of it..
Here it is!

Sorry for the filthy screen, need to carry a microfiber towel in the car

The cool thing about this head unit is that you can make your background yours. I chose a nice logo

Had to do some work today, my antenna cord decided to wiggle it's way out, so I had to pull everything out and plug it back in. It's a real quiet ride when your mom doesn't like your taste in music and there is no radio.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lookin good!! Soldering isn't too hard, once you get the hang of it. I solder guitar parts and wires together a lot.. keep on moddin! !!

:rock:
Yeah, I just never learned and I didn't take any shop classes in HS so I am out of luck haha. But I will hopefully learn one day, but until that day- BUTT CONNECTORS! Hahah

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5mt
605 Posts
Yeah, I just never learned and I didn't take any shop classes in HS so I am out of luck haha. But I will hopefully learn one day, but until that day- BUTT CONNECTORS! Hahah
Butt connectors are you're friend!!

Right now, my stereo (installed by the previous owner), is twisted and taped... A somewhat shoddy way of going about it.. I'll fix it eventually, probably when I get a new deck. Hopefully one with bluetooths!!

:woohoo:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Butt connectors are you're friend!!

Right now, my stereo (installed by the previous owner), is twisted and taped... A somewhat shoddy way of going about it.. I'll fix it eventually, probably when I get a new deck. Hopefully one with bluetooths!!

:woohoo:

Bluetooth is probably the best feature. It can also play music through it so if I'm cruising with friends it can pick up their phones as well and play. It's so awesome.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts