Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
01 Forester
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all. I've searched the forum but couldn't find my exact issue/problem. Maybe someone can help. Its an '01 forester L, with about 120K on motor and 220K on chassis. The car misfires severely on all cylinders. It feels to be starving for fuel. Taking off from a stop is SO annoying. It bucks and jerks and it has no power. (Everything Changes when i go to WOT) The car actually accelerates.

I've changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, cats, downstream o2 sensor. Pulled out pass side injectors and cleaned them out along with the rail. Same problem. Only thing i havent done yet is dropped the fuel tank to check the sender pick up. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Please help. thanks

My other issue is; when i take off from a stop and i want to leave a little quick, i get 5 or 6 rapid clunks coming from either the diff or the transfer case. Its a pretty bad vibration because i can feel it not just hear it. It also makes this if i'm going real slow in 1st gear up a hill, and than accelerate. Also likes to do it on snow when one of the tires breaks loose. What do you guys say? BURN it?? j/k i like the car.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
as far as the misfire if a code is being shown it will show up so have you codes pulled at your fav parts store. This will give a place to start.

·
Registered
01 Forester
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my friend had the same issue, he said it was the air valves?? has anybody had this problem?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
You didn't mention if you are getting any CEL's. If you can run it down to a Auto Zone or similar store and see if they can read any codes, even though you may not have a CEL showing.

02 sensors can fail, some members have changed them more frequently due to failure. What brand of 02 sensor did you buy?

The coil pack is a fairly common failure on these models. Spray some water around the coils at night and see if there is any arcing.
second issue may be bad axle.

Driving a car with a misfire is not good, if it is running rich it can damage the cat and that's even more big bucks.

·
Registered
01 Forester
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh sorry. Yeah it had 6 codes. 4 of them were misfires on on each cylinder. The other one was a "fuel lean out" or something like that, and the 6th was bank 1 o2 sensor. (haven't changed that one yet). The cats and othe o2 sensor came out of a 98 outback, but it didn't change anything.

·
Registered
01 Forester
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and as for the coil pack, i pulled each wire with the engine running and had good arcing on the plugs.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
oh sorry. Yeah it had 6 codes. 4 of them were misfires on on each cylinder. The other one was a "fuel lean out" or something like that, and the 6th was bank 1 o2 sensor. (haven't changed that one yet). The cats and othe o2 sensor came out of a 98 outback, but it didn't change anything.
Unplug the air fuel sensor and see if it stops the mis fires if so you found the problem.

·
Registered
01 Forester
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
codes are: p0301, p0302, p0303, p0304, p0170 (fuel trim bank 1), and p0130 (o2 circuit, bank1 sensor 1). This is what the Shmucks scanner told me.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
codes are: p0301, p0302, p0303, p0304, p0170 (fuel trim bank 1), and p0130 (o2 circuit, bank1 sensor 1). This is what the Shmucks scanner told me.
You need to replace the front O2 sensor or possibly the maf if equipped. I'd also check the compression.

·
Registered
01 Forester 5sp
15 Posts
The car misfires severely on all cylinders. It feels to be starving for fuel. Taking off from a stop is SO annoying. It bucks and jerks and it has no power. ]
Did you ever figure this one out Florin1? Was it the o2 sensor? Or the AFS?

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Forester AWD
1 Posts
My 2008 Forester (did only 49,000 km) started misfiring on load or while I apply the accelerator suddenly. Engine idling and pick up were very poor. Many a time it stopped at signals and roundabouts when I applied accelerator. My problem started at 47,000 km. The funny part of it was no CEL. I brought the car to the dealer many time. They started replacing spare parts one after the other. Ignition coil, spark plugs, spark plug cables, O2 sensors then finally fuel pump also. I had no reason to fight with them, because they did all this for free. But my problem was not solved. Finally from the knowledge I got from Subaru forum, I cleaned the 'MAF' sensor with CRC cleaner. The result was amazing. No misfire!, smooth idling! and very good pick up! Thanks to Subaru Forum members.

·
Registered
01 Forester
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yes i got it figured out. It was the front o2 sensor like $79 from subaru too... (i guess there was a recall)

Now i got a CEL for p0141 that im trying to figure out. I ordered a new rear o2 sensor this time around. Hopefully this solves my new CEL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts