Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were planning a cash transaction for the price of the 2020 minus the 2014 trade-in. However today I got an e-mail from SOA about the financing at 0% for 63 months with a deadline of 8/31/2020. It sounds good but do I still get to negotiate the price? Also we've a $500 SOA Loyalty coupon. Would we able to claim it on top of the financing offer?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,103 Posts
Yes and yes. And don't mention the SOA Loyalty coupon until you have nailed down the final price of your 2020. You can even wait until you start the paperwork process with the F&I person.

It is also smart to negotiate your trade-in separately so you know exactly how much you are paying for the new car and exactly how much you are getting for your trade-in. If you have a CarMax in your area have them give you a bid on buying your 2014 and compare it to what the dealer offers you. CarMax may offer more. If you want to maximize the value of your 2014 sell it yourself in a private party sale.

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ForesterBill. Good advice. I'll check with CarMax also. We are reluctant to sell it directly due to Covid-19 worries. After reviewing postings on the Forum I thought that we should try to get 8.5% of the MSRP. Does that sound good?

·
Registered
647 Posts
IIRC, Edmunds.com used to have a "true market value" calculator to show what would be reasonable to get the car for which might help give you a ballpark. I think they even included the list price but that site might have all changed.

Personally, I like dealing with the Internet Sales Managers via email. It helps take some of the pressure off and I find it can be easier to negotiate when they know you're likely sending out multiple emails to other dealers in the area. I tend to get a response with a below MSRP offer to start with.

When I have a trade-in, I don't mention it until I have a deal on the new car I'm buying. The trouble with trade-ins is that it gives the dealer leverage just like financing. Luckily (provided your credit is really good), the latter is a non issue.

I would make sure you know what the KBB values are for your old car and if you can get a quote like mentioned from CarMax, that's a good "option B" but IME, CarMax was horrible when I tried to use them for a car I was trying to get rid of. ......may not be your experience though. Just know what the trade-in, resale and private sale values are when you go in.

I'm lucky enough to have a great dealer in the next county (with one of the biggest inventories around) that we have purchased 3 cars from in the past not including the 2020 Forester we just bought for my wife.

We also took advantage of the 0% financing offer btw so we put half down and now have really low monthly payments, interest free for 5 years. I usually pay of loans early but in this case, there's obviously no rush. ....still, I hate having any kind of debt especially being free of it for so long (with the exception of our mortgage).

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC, Edmunds.com used to have a "true market value" calculator to show what would be reasonable to get the car for which might help give you a ballpark. I think they even included the list price but that site might have all changed.

Personally, I like dealing with the Internet Sales Managers via email. It helps take some of the pressure off and I find it can be easier to negotiate when they know you're likely sending out multiple emails to other dealers in the area. I tend to get a response with a below MSRP offer to start with.

When I have a trade-in, I don't mention it until I have a deal on the new car I'm buying. The trouble with trade-ins is that it gives the dealer leverage just like financing. Luckily (provided your credit is really good), the latter is a non issue.

I would make sure you know what the KBB values are for your old car and if you can get a quote like mentioned from CarMax, that's a good "option B" but IME, CarMax was horrible when I tried to use them for a car I was trying to get rid of. ......may not be your experience though. Just know what the trade-in, resale and private sale values are when you go in.

I'm lucky enough to have a great dealer in the next county (with one of the biggest inventories around) that we have purchased 3 cars from in the past not including the 2020 Forester we just bought for my wife.

We also took advantage of the 0% financing offer btw so we put half down and now have really low monthly payments, interest free for 5 years. I usually pay of loans early but in this case, there's obviously no rush. ....still, I hate having any kind of debt especially being free of it for so long (with the exception of our mortgage).
Thank you Kean. I got a range of $8,575 to $10,675 for my 2014 from truecar.com. I'll also check at KBB & Edmunds.com

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thank you Kean. I got a range of $8,575 to $10,675 for my 2014 from truecar.com. I'll also check at KBB & Edmunds.com
Yeah.... I think the trade-in value for my wife's '08 was something like in the hundreds considering it had a leaking CV boot and unresolved power steering pump issue. .....along with a cracked windscreen, squeal noise I know is the muffler (but try telling that to someone you're selling the car to), etc.

The cost of resolving the small issues just to sell it private party to get some money out of it and the fact it has over 250k miles and the timing belt will be due in 20k miles, it just wasn't worth it unless we were going to keep it. .....and then the current situation we're in along with the annoyances of private sales (which I hate). The costs / hassle to bring the value up were not enough to offset the repairs IMO.

The thing is, it's still a solid car and once the other relatively small issues are resolved, it would have served someone well. .....which is why we gave it to my brother who is currently in a transition right now and could use a 3rd car for around town, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you ForesterBill. Good advice. I'll check with CarMax also. We are reluctant to sell it directly due to Covid-19 worries. After reviewing postings on the Forum I thought that we should try to get 8.5% of the MSRP. Does that sound good?
You want at least 10% off MSRP and try to get 15% off. Try multiple dealers, like 5-10, within the distance you are willing to travel.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,140 Posts
As the current supply will be limited due to the 'rona, you may just have to deal with what you have around you... Sure, some dealers can wheel and deal a bit more but ... don't expect a lot of movement.

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You want at least 10% off MSRP and try to get 15% off. Try multiple dealers, like 5-10, within the distance you are willing to travel.
Thank you Sean2002. We do have 3 dealers within 30 miles distance. I plan to use internet contacts to get their offers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts