Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2018 XT Premium
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I have a 2018 XT Premium and live in Colorado. In the winter, my Foz takes me up to the mountains to snowboard and in the summer, it helps me find quiet, secluded camping spots. I'm not doing any legit off-roading or rock crawling, but definitely soft roading to get to campsites and trailheads. Over the last couple of years, my Foz has gotten me through some tough CO roads! I haven't made any modifications to it yet, but I'm interested in making it a little more capable for camping this summer. I have Blizzak DMV2s on for the winter and am thinking about getting Toyo Open Country A/T III for the summer. I'm also thinking about getting a rooftop awning to make our campsites a little more comfortable.

I'm not super interested in getting a lift (even though I think it looks amazing) but I'd love to hear any other suggestions for worthwhile mods for soft roading and camping! I'm pretty new to the auto world and have never modified a vehicle before, so I definitely have a lot to learn! Looking forward to seeing what everyone on here is driving and getting to know this forum better!

The day I brought her home! So shiny :)

On a camping trip in White River National Forester here in Colorado

Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
For doing what youre doing id also not bother with the lift..yes they do look great but you dont need it...I would actually as a just in case try to get a actual METAL skidplate for the bottom instead of just the plastic one thats on there...maybe invest in a full size spare? Also maybe a good air pump that runs off the cars electric..most slight off roading the 3 main things since youre "off" the pavement sometimes even if its not true off roading can be solved by airing up or down tires, having a full size spare and the real skid plates....I dont "off road" but going to a football game I did bottom the forester out once in a deep rut parking in a field....I have going to my fishing spots also heard something hit underneath the true skid plate made me think..no biggie..the plastic would have broken or been ripped off...

Registered
2017 XT
^ Solid advice.

Been super happy with the Viair 77P compressor, have used it a number of times in my tacoma - along with traction boards (soft sand). Had I aired down sooner, I probably wouldn't have needed the boards ;o). The compressor is slow, but less expensive that others.

Registered
2018 XT Premium
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good suggestions! I definitely have skid plates on my radar and very high on my list. I had a really dumb situation that's a little embarrassing... I parked at a campsite in Southern CO and didn't realize there was a big rock in front of where I parked. I went to pull away and went right over the rock and it scraped against the bottom. Thankfully there wasn't any serious damage, just some scratches, thanks to some nice folks who helped me figure it out. But it did make think much more seriously about a skid plate. I've got my eye on the LP Aventure aluminum skid plate but they require a bumper guard and claim that there aren't strong attachment points otherwise. If that's just marketing, I gotta say, it's a damn good campaign because it has me second guessing other companies. Having a bumper guard wouldn't be a bad thing, but it ends up being more than double the cost of something like the Primitive Racing skid plate.

I was also thinking about some traction boards. All things considered, they're not super expensive and seem like they'd be useful to have on hand.

Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
Good suggestions! I definitely have skid plates on my radar and very high on my list. I had a really dumb situation that's a little embarrassing... I parked at a campsite in Southern CO and didn't realize there was a big rock in front of where I parked. I went to pull away and went right over the rock and it scraped against the bottom. Thankfully there wasn't any serious damage, just some scratches, thanks to some nice folks who helped me figure it out. But it did make think much more seriously about a skid plate. I've got my eye on the LP Aventure aluminum skid plate but they require a bumper guard and claim that there aren't strong attachment points otherwise. If that's just marketing, I gotta say, it's a damn good campaign because it has me second guessing other companies. Having a bumper guard wouldn't be a bad thing, but it ends up being more than double the cost of something like the Primitive Racing skid plate.

I was also thinking about some traction boards. All things considered, they're not super expensive and seem like they'd be useful to have on hand.
I think you would be fine with the primitive plate, they also have a good reputation..here is how I see the skid plates...if im making my Forester(or any Subaru model) a bushwacker/off road model thats going to see a lot of logging trails, off road, camping off road..places where you really need to or use the AWD and the clearance and your challenging the wilderness..id go with the LP Aventure..they are probably correct about attachment points for more challenging off roading.

If like me and seemingly the OP you may do slight off road but nothing challenging or where you know you need a lift, off road tires and rock bars etc,etc... If im just getting back to my fishing spot on a old dirt road or doing light off roading down a logging trail or across a field or down a rutted dirt road then the primitive one that attaches(from the looks of it) to where the stock plastic pieces come off...I think you would be fine thats what im going with probably..that or have the local 4X4 shop fabricate me something...does the LP kit(bumper guard and plate(s) look cool and would it be nice?/ YES!!! id love it but im a lot like you I think..do I really NEED it at 2X the cost? Probably not..

Id probably go with the full Primitive kit front,tranny and differentials. apparently you get a "discount" for all 3 if you buy them

Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
I would just get the primitive mid body plate since the front XP has two beefy steel plates and a thinner aluminum front skid plate, and the rear differential is already quite high and beefy. That's what I did last year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts