Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

Brand new, first-time Subaru owner, recently purchased an ‘04 FXT, and I’m absolutely in love.

Couple issues I’m looking to troubleshoot, one is rough idling, sits just below 1000rpm and is just not consistent, sputtery and rough in the lower gears but seems to get more consistent at higher RPM.

Old owners mentioned it gets a code for the gas cap every now and again, P0457 showed up after only a few days of driving it. Not sure if the gas cap is the issue, looks to be in pretty good shape to be honest, but will probably start there and update as I go along.

As for the rough idling, don’t think that’s related, and wondering where I should start. Anybody have any experience with this?

·
Create Value
2004 FXT 5MT
267 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride. You didn't mention any modifications to vehicle so we'll assume it is a stock 04 FXT.

Rough Idle - Could be a number of things, you will need to decide which order you want to go testing/replacing them to see if it resolves the issue as some are easier and cheaper, some are timely and more expensive. Fuel filter, spark plugs, coil packs, injectors, MAF sensor, poor quality gasoline are the first culprits to come to mind.

Gas Cap code P0457 - Could be a number of things. Gas cap, rusted out fuel filler neck, rusted and leaking gas tank, charcoal canister that has met end of life are the first to come to mind.

If I were you - Replace the fuel filter near the battery, borrow/replace the MAF sensor to test if that's it. Check the underside for gas leaks (any fuel smells when fuel tank is full?), remove the plastic shroud protecting the fuel filler neck and check for rusted out spots or obvious leaks. Fill the fuel tank up to full with high quality gas and get under the car and look/smell for fuel leaks.

They're awesome cars but at this age they do need some loving. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the response!

All I know of in terms of mods are new springs (it was lowered), rad and exhaust. I haven’t had a chance to get in and really look at it though, as I’m moving into my house at the end of September and am currently in an apartment without tools.

There are a bunch of things I want to do to it but I’m looking to get potential minor issues sorted before I start swapping expensive parts and finding that I should have replaced filters and spark plugs. Will probably follow your advice and start with the fuel filter.

I’ve only been using 91 from reliable gas stations so it shouldn’t be the gas. As far as I know oil has been changed every 5000km religiously, and it doesn’t seem sticky or grimy so it would appear the car has been well cared for. The clutch is a bit spongier than I’d like but that’s not my top priority right now. Once I’ve got the engine back up to top shape I’ll think about tackling the clutch.

All in all the car is in really good shape so I think it’s more than worth putting some money into, and I paid virtually nothing for it so I’ve got some room to flex and can probably still get a decent return.

I mean, and it’s beautiful so, that doesn’t hurt either.. haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts