• 1 Post By nogard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: 2.5X Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Let's play "Is it totaled?"

Didn't take any pics unfortunately. Hit some slush going around a curve and lost control thankfully I didn't lose control at high speed or into the path of another vehicle. I'm fine, air bags didn't deploy But I did hit several metal reflector posts and a rather large wooden road sign. Damage as follows: drivers side front fender and door scuffed although doesn't look dented, driver side mirror ripped off, front bumper has several cracks, bottom runner piece is ripped off....finally what I think may kill it...the wood post after I hit it with the bumper flipped over the hood and nailed the roof huge dent between the top of the windshield and sunroof. The sunroof frame and windshield frame is warped, windshield has about a million cracks but sunroof glass isn't though. It's a 2010 Premium MT with 155k and I just got the head gaskets done about a month ago. Oh yeah car is drivable I was able to drive it and drop it off at the body shop. What do you guys think totalled or not and if totalled what do you think I can expect in terms of insurance pay out?

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium MT AWP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Perimun 2.5
Transmission: Cvt
Generally if repairs are 70 percent of car value the car is total. Recently I had an accident where a street cleaner backed into me. New hood, front grill, head light and bumper cover. Total repairs $5200.00

2016 Forester 2.5i premiun
2009 Madza mx5 sport
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Sounds like it may be close - keep us posted after the adjuster makes the call.

----
Joe
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Forum Member

Take it in to a body shop and mechanic and get your own quotes and assessments. The insurance adjuster is working to save the insurance company money, so body part quotes will be aftermarket equivalent, not OEM.

I had my 2002 WRX, 70K miles declared totaled after I put in new tires, new brakes/discs and major interval work totaling $2K. The insurance adjuster discounted and said they were part of normal wear and tear. So, you may not get any credit for the headgasket work. If you have receipts of upgrades (car stereos, aftermarket parts) they may take that into consideration.

In the event the vehicle is declared a total loss, (meaning repairs exceed book value), is the car still in driving condition, are you looking to buy it back and fix it up?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: FXT
Transmission: CVT :(
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sorry to hear about your forester. i had the something happen to me yesterday in my 2017 forester xt. hit slush car went sideways and started to head straight towards a pole. some how i got lucky and there was snow mound next to the curb which push me back towards the road going straight and not a mark on my car. That slush gets very slippery. Im glad i had nothing happen to my car but i feel your pain after my last two subaru got totaled in an accident.

im glad your okay though and your car can always be fixed or replaced with a new one with more options.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not to preach.. but Winter tires are cheaper than an accident.

Glad you are safe and in good health.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONDHSD View Post
Didn't take any pics unfortunately. Hit some slush going around a curve and lost control thankfully I didn't lose control at high speed or into the path of another vehicle. I'm fine, air bags didn't deploy But I did hit several metal reflector posts and a rather large wooden road sign. Damage as follows: drivers side front fender and door scuffed although doesn't look dented, driver side mirror ripped off, front bumper has several cracks, bottom runner piece is ripped off....finally what I think may kill it...the wood post after I hit it with the bumper flipped over the hood and nailed the roof huge dent between the top of the windshield and sunroof. The sunroof frame and windshield frame is warped, windshield has about a million cracks but sunroof glass isn't though. It's a 2010 Premium MT with 155k and I just got the head gaskets done about a month ago. Oh yeah car is drivable I was able to drive it and drop it off at the body shop. What do you guys think totalled or not and if totalled what do you think I can expect in terms of insurance pay out?
First... Glad you are ok. The car can be fixed or replaced.
How did your interaction with the insurance company turn out? For what it is worth, all of them are notorious for trying to undervalue whatever is being insured, so stay on top of them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
First... Glad you are ok. The car can be fixed or replaced.
How did your interaction with the insurance company turn out? For what it is worth, all of them are notorious for trying to undervalue whatever is being insured, so stay on top of them.
Unless the other driver is found at fault... then my bumper scuff became a new bumper... new fogs, etc etc...

Sarcasm aside, I am so happy to hear that OP is fine and just worried about repair costs... were so many as fortunate.

If you aren't upgrading, you aren't trying.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Unless the other driver is found at fault... then my bumper scuff became a new bumper... new fogs, etc etc...

Sarcasm aside, I am so happy to hear that OP is fine and just worried about repair costs... were so many as fortunate.
No... keep the sarcasm going. :) Otherwise when you think about the insurance process you will get incensed. It is good to laugh when you can. The alternative is quite depressing.

Here is one for you... I was T-boned last January by someone who ran a red light. The speed was somewhat low but the street was all ice. Luckily for me, after the impact both cars slid about 30 feet or so together. So, instead of the crunch and compression, it was was just crunch and slide. (Say YES to the ice in this case) The result was light fender damage & paint scuffs. The insurance company wanted to total the car (for light surface damage.. no mechanical damage at all). They had their shop take the car's front end apart for an estimate (and left it like that for a couple of weeks out in the snow). When I ordered them to put it back the way they got it, parts were missing. Hmmmm.... imagine that. I got my regular service department to fix all the damage that my insurance company allowed/did after the accident. The worst part of the accident was dealing with the insurance company.

Subie performed as expected (no injuries to me), the insurance company did not. Experience documented & Lesson learned.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
No... keep the sarcasm going. :) Otherwise when you think about the insurance process you will get incensed. It is good to laugh when you can. The alternative is quite depressing.
I concur... it's like a 'punch yourself for a fee'. I pay them, then when I need their service...they make me punch myself (for having them as a legal required 'service)

However, when it was the other driver's fault... I got to watch someone else punch themselves (through my swollen eyes).

In the end, it's why I bought the car I did.... in the moment of an accident, it is Sir Isaac versus Subaru... and I am betting on Subaru to at least get me a draw.

Fate likes this.

If you aren't upgrading, you aren't trying.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard View Post
I concur... it's like a 'punch yourself for a fee'. I pay them, then when I need their service...they make me punch myself (for having them as a legal required 'service)

However, when it was the other driver's fault... I got to watch someone else punch themselves (through my swollen eyes).

In the end, it's why I bought the car I did.... in the moment of an accident, it is Sir Isaac versus Subaru... and I am betting on Subaru to at least get me a draw.

Well said!

In the meantime, be safe out there and watch out for the "drivers" that dare to eat a bowl of cereal (yes.. cereal, bowl, spoon, etc.) while driving at speed in traffic. If you are asking.... Yes, I DID see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Mishaps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode