LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: 2.5i Premium CVT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dented roof

Hi everyone. My seven month old 2016 Forester was damaged last Monday evening when a large tree branch fell on the roof. My dad and I met up with a Geico inspector last week and after she gave us her estimate, she let us know that we could choose any auto shop for repairs. I would like to know if you guys could weigh in on whether it would be better to get the repairs done at an independent auto shop, or a dealership? My instinct tells me that getting the work done at a dealership would be much more expensive, but I'm not sure if the quality of the work would be worth the extra money. Insurance is covering all of the repairs and my rental. If any of you guys are from the area (Fairfax/Northern VA), do you have any recommendations for shops where you have taken your forester to get body work done? My dad spoke to his friend at the body shop we usually visit and he suggested that it might be a better idea to get the work done at a dealership.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Last edited by pleiad7; 01-09-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: fixed image links
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: F-XT
Transmission: 4eat
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you have a local Subaru dealer with an auto collision center, i'd take it there for this type of comfort. Knowing its at a Subaru specific shop may make it easier for you. The collision shop will come up with their own estimate and will deal with your insurance.

A quick left coast search came up with Auto Body Shop | Fairfax VA | Farrish Subaru
MissAlwaysWright likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium
Man, that sucks... i agree with HeyChris, take it to the dealer-associated body shop. My husband's WRX was hit while in possession of the dealership for other repairs. They took it to their dealership, and they did a great job. Granted it was just a bumper, but come time for trade in, you'll be glad you kept the dealer in the loop. That's just the experience I've had.

Good luck! Our cars are twins ☺

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Guessing the roof panel and the moonroof track system will need replaced. The roof panel will be a very complex job and will cost a small fortune.

Make sure your insurance uses a good shop.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
Guessing the roof panel and the moonroof track system will need replaced. The roof panel will be a very complex job and will cost a small fortune.

Make sure your insurance uses a good shop.
Thanks everyone! How do you find out what shops are "good?" Is it just word of mouth? The other two posters suggested going through a dealership which is what I'm considering , but I was having trouble finding a shop just by searching online (I'm a little hesitant using Yelp b/c their reviews are sometimes fixed).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ask local car clubs, mechanics, friends. Read Google and Facebook reviews and look for photos of their work.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

-

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Perimun 2.5
Transmission: Cvt
Where ever you take the car for repairs make sure that OEM parts are used. Recently I had an accident when I was behind
a street cleaner and decided to go into reverse, damaging the hood and grill. Geico was only going pay for aftermarket parts not OEM. The body shop worked with Subaru and was able to negotiate to get the OEM parts at the same price of
the after market parts. Of course the repairs were more than the original estimate and Geico took care of the extra dollars.
jasonn likes this.

2016 Forester 2.5i premiun
2009 Madza mx5 sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Mishaps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode