LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2014 Eyesight Fail = Crash

So I crashed my brand new FXT a couple weeks ago - 3 mo old with 6k miles. I bought the Eyesight because I drive over 20k mi per year in horrible LA traffic and city driving, and was hoping to prevent an accident. Well my Eyesight system failed me. A car I was following slammed on his brakes when someone decided to stop traffic to parallel park, and I rear-ended him. I had a very brief moment of distraction looking at some graffiti before slamming on my brakes, but it was no use.

Isn't this precisely what the collision avoidance function was designed for?? I don't recall if I was alerted by the Eyesight system or if it applied the brakes, but it certainly didn't prevent this accident from happening. Conditions were clear, windshield was clean, occurred about a block away from an intersection after making a left turn.

The damage to my car is $3200 and $1400 to the car I ran into (paying out of pocket to avoid a costly rate hike on my joint policy with a WRX). My HID headlamp mounting bracket (plastic) is cracked, though the light is still functional, but have to replace the whole assembly for over $800. Also need a new bumper, left fender, and pulling of the radiator support bar.

Not sure if there was a malfunction with my Eyesight or a specific condition that it doesn't function under. The obstacle alerts have worked on other occasions, and the adaptive cruise control is phenomenal. But the major cost benefit of the technology is the collision avoidance, and for that reason I am seriously disappointed! So note to potential buyers, Eyesight cost me a few thousand extra to obtain, and another $4600 in repairs. I reported the Eyesight failure to SOA, received a callback, and am awaiting a response pending their internal review. They said they have no precedent on file for a crash with Eyesight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Transmission: Auto
Maybe you were following too closely for your car to react for you. Only so much a computer can do to keep you from getting distracted and driving into someone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Sorry to hear about your accident. Is it possible you were going above the speed at which eyesight collision avoidance will engage? I think it's up to 19 mph.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 04:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Outback Limited 2.5i
Question...was the adaptive cruise control on? I ask because my partner has a 2013 Outback and uses the adaptive cruise control all the time. From I have observed if the car in front slows down the cameras detect it and apply the breaks. My understanding is that this would work at varying speeds. Don't know how this would work in conjunction with collision avoidance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Computer aids and nannys like ABS, adaptive cruise, lane departure, stability control.... IMHO should always be viewed by the driver as if they are not to be relied on. They are no replacement for driver awareness, skill or technique. They are merely a programed response to a set of inputs of what is happening NOW not what is going to happen next. Then there are the moments like this where one does rely on them to do their job(the drivers) and pick up the slack of a inattentive driver.

One also has to keep in mind Eyesight is new technology tested in small scale it may be, refined to the point of what real world drivers are expecting it to be, it may not be.

In any case it was an accident that it sounds like the only thing that was hurt may be a little pride, a pocket book and some expectations. Doesn't sound like anyone was hurt, I'd call that a good thing.

08 X Prem 5mt
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Impreza 5-Door Sport
Transmission: Auto (CVT)
Don't think technology has come that far yet for something like this to work in the real world under every circumstance.

Not sure, but I think this Eyesight system is an expensive option and is not warranted to work every time by Subaru.

Main thing, no one got seriously hurt.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
That's why it's called accident avoidance and not accident prevention. Glad to hear nobody was hurt.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation

I have no interest in EyeSight, and I haven't closely followed how it's marketed. However, Subaru's EyeSight OM makes it rather clear, IMHO, that the feature is an aid and not a replacement for driver awareness and responsibility. Also, there are scenarios where EyeSight may not operate, such as when the driver turns the steering wheel and/or is braking.

From the EyeSight OM:
EyseSight Forward
EyeSight Pre-Collision Braking System
HTH, and I too am glad no one was injured.
Jim / crewzer

15 Highlander XLE AWD
12 Forester (sold)
09 Forester (sold)
06 BMW 530xi wagon
00 Ford F250
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

No one was injured. It's just an example of a condition in which Eyesight failed to stop the vehicle when I was distracted. Theoretically, if you accelerate towards a brick wall, Eyesight should apply the brakes and stop the car. If I was accelerating towards a stopped vehicle, is my situation so different? I was not using adaptive cruise because it just doesn't feel comfortable for me in city driving (but perhaps I should start). I was going about 35mph and was able to slow down before impact. But the delayed reaction on my part is how this accident happened, and I'm just surprised that Eyesight wasn't able to assist by reacting before me. I don't have an attitude that by purchasing Eyesight, I can drive distracted all the time and rely on the car to brake for me. But the reality is that distractions happen, fatigue happens, no driver is perfect. If I hadn't been distracted, then I wouldn't need Eyesight. So when you make a costly purchase of this type of technology, you can't help but have some expectations. I contacted SOA so that if they wan't to review a real life case study, they can attempt to retrieve the recording of the accident. I am posting here so that those on the fence can see that Eyesight is a costly thing to bank on.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 AM
dpm
Super Moderator

Car Model: XC diesel
seems pretty clear in the manual that it's only likely to stop you below 20mph.

2015 SJ XCdiesel CVT
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Car Model: OutBack Ltd
I would NEVER put much trust in a new technology option on my car....never. I don't care who makes or markets it..........the last best foot on the brake is the human foot...unimpared, of course, by drugs, booze, pretty ladies, daydreaming and music.

Eyesight is the latest version of "night vision" and HUD toys. They look great, in theory, they should work very well but.........well, you know.

Just glad that no one was hurt and only your pride is damaged to any significant extent. Give Eyesight about 10-15 years and you might have something......MIGHT.

Steve

2015 OutBack Ltd
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 03
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5 MT
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Actually, eyesight is technically 17 years old already :)

It was released in Japan in 1996 IIRC (but not under the eyesight name). It featured camera's to warn the driver of hazardous situations (car in front stops quickly), and a few other things.

But, I agree with what mostly everyone is saying-yes it "should" have stopped the car, but it's not a perfect technology yet. When Volvo first had their press release on automated breaking, the car ended up crashing....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Car Model: OutBack Ltd
Technically, Eyesight is 17 years old BUT, as is the norm, the only way that it will ever become fully developed is to have it in tens of thousands of cars, racking up miles and miles and years of use.....

Remember that fuel injection started out as a very specialized bit of technology with teething problems that stretched into decades of refinement.

So it will be with this latest "gadget". The litigation lobby is just salivating over the new business that they'll get when options like Eyesight saturate the market and the inevitable accidents start piling up (no pun intended).......

Blind Spot is an example of something that I really am intrigued about BUT I would never trust it....so, if I have to manually crank my head around to check for traffic because I cannot place my trust in the technology, then why would I want to have that technology in the first place?

I recall the push back over air bags wayyy back in the 1970s.......now, look at the technology as it matured.......I wouldn't have a car w/o the air bags.........back then, I had little faith in them.....

2015 OutBack Ltd
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysbyus View Post
Blind Spot is an example of something that I really am intrigued about BUT I would never trust it....so, if I have to manually crank my head around to check for traffic because I cannot place my trust in the technology, then why would I want to have that technology in the first place?
Exactly! Eyesight inherently creates an expectation of successfully avoiding collisions because otherwise, then why would anyone spend the extra money for it? I figured that if I avoided a collision, then it would pay for itself. They should have called it Hindsight, because I regret falling for the gimmick.
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
dpm
Super Moderator

Car Model: XC diesel
you didn't read the manual then?

2015 SJ XCdiesel CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread